Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 01:13 AM

Default The Book on Bluffs by Matt Lessinger Review

I just brought The Book On Bluffs today and have read the first 2 chapters of it. So far I found the book to be average at best. But that might be because I have not reach the heart of the book. The author uses a rating scale for each example to let the readers know the degree of difficulty, rate of success and frequency. If anyone have picked up a copy of this book feel free to share your opinion.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Re: The Book on Bluffs by Matt Lessinger Review

Please give a full review when you've read the whole book.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:44 PM

Hi tvboy,

I think his calling pattern and betting pattern classifications are useful.

There is one problem I find so far. He advocates indiscriminant aggression in some parts.

In 7 card stud hi, I think he is wrong when he says you should always try to steal the bring-in when you are to the right of the bring in and everyone folds to you for instance. He says that your cards don't matter, and the player you are playing against doesn't matter. Maybe this is true in tournaments, but playing this way in cash games will get you killed.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:46 PM

I'll give a full review if you change your avatar.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone have picked up a copy of this book feel free to share your opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read it, a full review will be forthcoming.

Briefly, I found the book interesting. There's a bunch of stuff I don't agree with, but the book does contain some interesting thoughts. I thought it was worth reading, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi tvboy,

I think his calling pattern and betting pattern classifications are useful.

There is one problem I find so far. He advocates indiscriminant aggression in some parts.

In 7 card stud hi, I think he is wrong when he says you should always try to steal the bring-in when you are to the right of the bring in and everyone folds to you for instance. He says that your cards don't matter, and the player you are playing against doesn't matter. Maybe this is true in tournaments, but playing this way in cash games will get you killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you are a 7CSFAP fan. I think they advocate raising almost every single time here as well. I think they give a few exceptions:

- You have nothing and its obvious (ex 7 up and several 7s dead)
- Up against a really good agressive player

Matt makes several good points in pointing out that stealing the antes in Stud has a better risk/reward ratio than in Hold'em and also that unlike Hold'em the Stud Bring in does not have a completely random hand. He has at least one low bad card.

I'm about halfway through the book. I'll write a review but thus far it seems worthwhile. I think the idea for a book solely on bluffing is a good idea.
-
Old 10-25-2005, 01:21 PM

Who isn't a 7csfap fan?

Matt doesn't mention any exceptions to stealing the bring in. This is just one of many "your cards don't matter" ridiculous statements that he makes in the book. Even Doyle's super aggressive SS advice says you should usually bluff with an out.

Anyway, I'm not done with the book yet, and find it mostly good so far. However, I just know that some idiot kid is going to pick up this kid and go broke.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:43 PM

I hear ya, I think he may be slightly too aggressive at times.

In Hold'em, on button folded to you, I think any two is too aggressive. But he doesn't just say any two, he says any two if blinds are tight and predictable. But you are right, misapplied this could lead to some chip spewing.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:55 PM

Ok I have finally finish reading "The Book on Bluffs" In my opinion from a scale of 1 to 10 with The Theory of Poker as a perfect 10 I would rate Matt's book as a 5. Overall I feel the authors give a lot of pointers on some ideal bluffing situations such as when you are last to act on the turn and your opponents have checked all the way so far. Even though some players are not aware of these bluffing opporuities and can find this book benefial. I think that any players who have read a couple of David or Mason's book should already be aware of these bluffing situations. At closing I expected a little more from this book and therefore found it a little dissapointing. If anyone like to give a review on this book please feel free to do so.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:41 PM

See the review in latest issue of cardplayer magazine.

http://cardplayer.com/poker_magazine...amp;m_id=65575