Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Hand to Ponder #21

Usual private game at my Uncle Thuong's noodle restaurant. The game was 20-40, nine handed.

Spring (my cousin Meng's girlfriend), who had been losing very big all night long but was not on tilt, called from UTG. Antonio, the illegal alien dishwasher, folded next to her. And Bong, a Filipino pizza delivery boy, called from middle position.

Everyone else folded to me who was on the button with K-J, both spades. I normally wouldn't raise in this situation but somehow I found myself doing so. Part of the unconscious reason may have been because I was on a rush and I figured Spring and Bong were somewhat intimidated by me at that point. Bong was the second biggest loser that night. Uncle Thuong called in the big blind as did Spring and Bong, and four of us saw the flop.

Flop came Q-10-4 with one of my spades. Uncle Thuong checked. Spring bet and Bong folded. I decided to raise. But this time the reason was conscious instead of unconscious. I raised with the intent of getting checked into during the turn for a freecard. I knew she had to have something but I figured it wasn't big or else she would have raised pre-flop. Uncle Thuong folded and Spring just called, looking nervous.

The turn was a 5 of spades giving me a flush draw in addition to my straight draw. Spring checked as I hoped. Now, part of me wanted to semi-bluff with a bet but another part of me wanted to take the freecard. The latter won out this time because I figured she was committed to playing and paying to the river. I had her on a pair of Queens. I checked.

River came a K of diamonds. Spring checked and I bet my pair Kings for value. She called, shook her head and smiled, and showed AQ.

Comments?

Old 07-30-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Hand to Ponder #21

Mr. Men,
This strat is often use in LA esp. at Commerce where I play. I have seen people check raise on the turn with a double draw here hoping to catch on the river. And this is at the 40-80 level. Even if that player knows that he is beaten going into the river. I would like to believe that they are actually believe they have calculate the odds to their hands but I have seen more misses then hits. But even the regular(u might call pros) used the same tactics on other pros. I love LA poker, either the poker players are too rich to care about money or they only know how to Ram and Jam. at the 40-80 level a bad weekend(10-12hrs play time) for me is aound +2.5BB/hours. though I rarely play weekdays but I figured only people trying to make a living out of poker will be there.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:55 AM

Not to be results-oriented, but the K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] that came on the river is the perfect reason why you could have continued the semi-bluff. In addition to your 9 flush outs and 8 straight outs, the three remaining kings also probably win.

Plus, unless your opponent has KQ, you're in a position where no card can come that will cause you to pay her off with a worse hand, but she will pay you off if you hit any of your 20 outs. This makes your implied odds even better.

But, you're the Master. I can't fault you're reasoning on not betting the turn.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:59 AM

Men will prevail over the Spring if they can get rid of the Bongs and not be distracted by women and Thuongs.