Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 05:52 AM

Default making some adjustments in 3/6

this past week ive noticed some staggering alterations in the 3/6 games at PP. a week ago the games were very tight passive, now they are loose semi-aggro. there are alot of donk plays that ive never seen before.

during my first 17k hands or so, i was bullying the tables very well. i would bet the flop 100% of the time after raising preflop, no matter what fell and what 2 cards i held. this strategy was working very well for me. the players at the table would not play back at me with less than strong holdings. this allowed me to command the tempo of the game and buy cards cheaply while producing folding equity. players would hopelessly chase to the river with the most random of holdings, and check down their 9 high.

things have changed. i am now getting played back at by people who dont even belong in the hand. i guess i shouldnt be complaining, but its difficult for me to distinguish when i should be paying off and when i shouldnt be. people are taking shots at me on a regular basis.

as a live player, im not used to playing against people in the dark. ive become very comfortable reading pt stats, but pt doesnt provide information like bluffing frequency/steal flop frequency etc, which i really wish it did.

i feel that i may be losing equity by betting at flops that i miss now. all of the sudden, people do not fold. period.

i must have missed the memo.

not only that, but since the action usually goes "check check, hero bets, call call, check check, hero bets, checkraise with any 2" im not getting my free cards and end up calling down to the river with a gutshot and call 1 more bet with ace high.

so what do you guys think? should i stop betting every flop, or almost every flop? would anybody notice? does metagame count?
Old 04-02-2005, 07:53 AM

Default Re: making some adjustments in 3/6

I'm definitely in the bet every flop camp. Give it some time? They are allowed to go on really long streaks where they just have it against you. (those punks) Also, come on TStone, how is calling with ace high working out for you? Cycle it through your pokertracker but calling with ace high on the end (if you're doing it too much) isn't going to solve this problem. Being from the bet every flop side, I know that one of my bigger weaknesses can be calling waaaay too much with ace high.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:09 AM

i dont make calldowns with ahigh very often, that was a bit of an exaggeration. im not sure if im up or down calling down ahigh or not.ill definitely do a filter for that when i have the time if i can figure out how.

i think a situation that arises for paying off bets is chasing pocket 8s down to the river to catch my gutshot and throwing 1 more bet in the middle.

the point that i was trying to make is that being put in situations like that is -ev in comparison to the standard flow of 3/6 in which people check down top pair to you, dont charge you a second bet on the turn when youre drawing.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:20 AM

Yeah I see what you're saying. I don't have the experience at 3/6 lately to comment further. Perhaps it would be best to hear from someone playing 3/6 right now about how often he checks behind on the turn with outs rather than betting his draws because he thinks he has fold equity. Sorry that I'm a 2/4 peon right now.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:33 AM

why am i even talking to you then? get away from me you stupid 2/4 maggot. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2005, 08:39 AM

*crawls backwards out of the room in order to not insult further*
Old 04-02-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
during my first 17k hands or so, i was bullying the tables very well. i would bet the flop 100% of the time after raising preflop, no matter what fell and what 2 cards i held. this strategy was working very well for me. the players at the table would not play back at me with less than strong holdings. this allowed me to command the tempo of the game and buy cards cheaply while producing folding equity. players would hopelessly chase to the river with the most random of holdings, and check down their 9 high.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have a had a run of fairly tight-passive tables, because in the 15K hands of 3/6 I've played at Party over the past few months, there have usually been a couple of TAGs or LAGs at most any table.

[ QUOTE ]
things have changed. i am now getting played back at by people who dont even belong in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

See the first comment above.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:46 AM

I like auto betting flop against the check, check line. However, I like mixing it up on the turn. Sometimes check and sometimes bet. If I have a gutshot on the turn, I'll almost always check and call 1 bet on river if board is raggy. If I bet on the turn and get raised, I will usually fold (esp. against 2 players) unless I've seen the player making moves or have folded on the turn to raises recently. When I call the turn raise, I am committed to calling the river unimproved. If I really think the player is taking a shot at me when I bet the turn, I will sometimes 3-bet and check behind the river unimproved. I've won a fair number of pots this way w/ the player either folding to the turn 3 bet (probably when he has very little) or missing his flush draw.

I think the key is to mix it up. It's easy for me to say, though, because I only 3 or 4 table. You may not be able to give as much consideration to how you might mix it up 8 tabling.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so what do you guys think? should i stop betting every flop, or almost every flop? would anybody notice? does metagame count?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody notices because anyone who could notice can't notice because we are all playing so many tables. You still can't bet every flop. Mix it up a tad. Play good poker. I like checking the flop sometimes and betting the turn as it looks like a monster. Depending on the board texture this can work well.