Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 10:02 PM

Default When is it right to protect your hand?

I've seen a lot of talk about hand-protection and I want to make sure I've got this concept right. You should do this when: you might have the best hand AND you have reasonable outs to a better hand AND some people will fold. Am I missing anything?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:09 PM

Default Re: When is it right to protect your hand?

I protect my hand when I likely have the best hand at the moment, which is sensitive to redraws or overcards. I also protect my hand when I am drawing and have enough odds to call, but also may well win it if I spike a pair. Occasionally, it is a sound strategy to wait for the turn for a (hopefully) safe card to go into protection-mode, especially if the pot is sizeable.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:42 PM

Default Re: When is it right to protect your hand?

Here's my personal philosophy about hand protection: You protect your hand when doing so may increase your chances of winning the pot. That's it as far as I am concerned. If your hand is particularly vulnerable or if there are draws out there that can beat you, try to make it a mistake for your opponents to see more cards. The flop is not always the best time to do this so you need to be aware of all the factors involved in the hand.

When you have a beast of a hand, just worry about swelling the pot.

SpaceAce