Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: I just went on tilt at NL200 and NL 400 and lost 3/4 my roll

:Hug:

Sorry to hear. I hope things work out for you.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:10 PM

It happens man, i guarantee you almost everyone on here has done it atleast once. ive done it twice. The difference between the winners and losers is the winners never quit.(ya i know it sounds corny but its true)
Old 12-29-2005, 09:22 PM

i just went on tilt at 5/10 and 10/20 and lost 15% of my roll [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

edited to add: i still get to go to europe cuz i won a seat in EPT copenhagen .. i am the coolest person alive [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 09:28 PM

if by cool you mean ghey

edited to say something relevant towards your post...Everybody loses a big portion of there bankroll at some point...keep your head up.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:49 PM

Move down, build it back up with solid play.

Consider this an expensive lesson to learn from. I've had far worse (and actually financially painful -- life bankroll not poker bankroll) business problems happen and though they are very expensive and painful to deal with they have taught me lessons I would otherwise not understand.

If you're especially prone to tilt, just keep a couple buy-ins in party and leave the rest in neteller. You'd be surprised how much more difficult it is to transfer another 2 grand into party than to buy into a few more higher limit games.

GL.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:03 AM

Thanks for clarify and I think
you learn a valuable lesson
you are still in good shape
and I hope you are not quitting.

ps I think losing 7-10 buyin could very well be just swings in those games.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:12 AM

go blue:

imagine the same thing, but more prolonged and 3x as much down the drain. thats what i did. i took some time off. im playing 50nl now. stress is at a minumum, and im actually enjoying the game again. im sure ill run bad again, get pissed, but i at least trust my ability to take time off again. id recommend you try the same.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To elaborate, I lost 3/4 of the money I keep online (so about 3 grand). I've saved 13k of my winnings in a bank account and refuse to touch that. I'm just utterly disgusted with myself; it's as if I just handed out three thousand dollars to people.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is that you are responsible. You keep winnings separate and don't allow yourself to get your hands on it while you're steaming.

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest advice I can offer is something all of you already know: poker is a game done over the long run, and this time period consists of your entire "career." So, if you get "screwed" again and agan and again and again, just fuking stop playing. I put 'screwed' in quotes because you're not really getting screwed over; this is just the nature of the game we play (it's inevitable).

[/ QUOTE ]

You are clearly intelligent enough to recognize this. I think that giving up poker would be a very poor decision. Look at the money you've won. It's obvious you're a winning player, so why not take time off and clear your head. You'll make it back. I, along with all the other regular posters here know that.

[ QUOTE ]
As I sit here now, sixteen hours after my idiocy, I remember that poker is always profitable for me in the long run. But at the time, in my irrationality, I felt like I couldn't sleep before I made some of my losses back. I don't really know how to stress this advice, since I didn't even follow it (and everyone here already understands variance).

[/ QUOTE ]

No, everyone doesn't understand variance. And not everyone is intelligent and mature enough to admit their mistake and take full responsibility for it. But guess what everyone here has in common? They've all blown a significant sum on tilt or trying to make it back. I have - I actually bought in to a $600 game a couple months ago (WAY above my bankroll) looking to double up once. $900 down the drain. But like you, I realized that I made a mistake. I've made every cent back plus more. You will too.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't ever play above your limits when on tilt; if you're not prepared to do this when playing rationally, why do you think you'll suddenly conquer the above limits in that state of mind? Sure, you could triple up and make everything back; but you'd need to get to lucky to do this. Why would you ever want to put yourself in a position that requires a lot of luck? Part of the reason, the game is profitable for you is b/c other people make this mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

See above, lol.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't play on tilt.
Don't talk in the chat when someone outdraws you. It doesn't make sense. A)It will always make you angrier: if he laughs, says "look who has the money," or even if he doesn't say anything it'll enrage you. B) You're yelling at a guy for putting his money in with a hand that will lose to yours the majority of the time. What the [censored]? It's not his fault he got lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

We all say not to do this, but most of us still do. Like last night when I got all in with KK v. QQ on a 479 board and he hit a four flush. Chat box: "Nice catch you XXXXing donkey XXXX you." (He had drawn out on me twice before that.

[ QUOTE ]
It's the most obvious "advice" in the world. And I somehow forgot it all and threw away three grand. Pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

We all do, and we all feel this way. I hope you'll reconsider your decision.

Additionally, if you don't change your mind, thany you for all your insights that have proved very helpful.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We all say not to do this, but most of us still do. Like last night when I got all in with KK v. QQ on a 479 board and he hit a four flush. Chat box: "Nice catch you XXXXing donkey XXXX you." (He had drawn out on me twice before that.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, yeah i did this the other night.

when someone draws out on me sometimes i'll just say "nice catch."

but when the same person does it 2-3 times in a session, the tilt in me has me berating the hell out of them in the chatbox, instead of adding them to my buddylist.