Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-24-2005, 06:57 AM

Default $55: 88 utg w/ the chip lead

I felt very awkward in this situation. I didn't want to push but I was planning on calling any pushes behind me. Should I just raise a standard amount and see what happens?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t1732)
Hero (t3010)
MP (t1666)
CO (t707)
Button (t1570)
SB (t1315)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to ???</font>
Old 12-24-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Re: $55: 88 utg w/ the chip lead

I would make a standard raise and carry on from there
Old 12-24-2005, 07:16 AM

I take it to 375, though I suppose you could just push since only one player has more than 10 BB, and it's just a hair more anyway.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I take it to 375, though I suppose you could just push since only one player has more than 10 BB, and it's just a hair more anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly why I asked the question [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. Just wondering what "default" line everybody takes.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:23 AM

I think I'd raise 400 or so. If the table is very loose/aggressive I might fold it, but that's me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2005, 12:22 PM

I move allin preflop. Once everyone has basically 10x the BB or less (and its close here) I stop messing around with BS raises, since its so hard to fold to a reraise anyway and I dont want to encourage people.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:39 PM

Blinds seem too small too push this hand (SNGPT verifies this). The value of this hand goes up, the looser people call you so if you play it at all you should try to get it in vs. the widest range of worse hands. I don't think pushing achieves that. Depending on table tendencies raise/call reraise, or limp/reraise or call allin seem all better options than pushing. I fold this hand regularly, it's hardly worth to risk 10bb with it at this stage of the tourney, from this position.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:52 PM

SNGPT verifies this? I highly doubt it. How come people always claim that SNGPT gives a result when I know basically for sure that its not true. Perhaps against the perfect possible calling range its only slightly +EV, but based on my experience I know this is in the .2-.5% range. Anyway I'll work it out on my own in a few minutes.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:29 PM

with 707 CO to act behind you, I might throw it away. I'm not looking to flip for 707 in chips. Yeah I guess I chuck it, and be a little annoyed about doing so.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:44 PM

When pushing a midrange pair in situations like these, I've found the following rule of thumb to often give the same push/fold advice as SNGPT and can be quickly estimated realtime in your head at the table before making the decision, if you get comfortable with it.

Calculate the odds of a single player holding a higher pair than yours. In this case it would be 1/220 * 6 = approx 1/40.

Calculate the total amount of money remaining players hold, in units of BB (unless they hold more than you, then use your stack size). In this case it is right around 50 BB.

Multiply these two numbers 50 x 1/40 = approx 1.2. If this number is smaller than one, then the correct play is to push. If this number is larger than one, then the correct play is to fold.

Using this analysis for this hand, this quick estimate shows it to be a very close call between pushing and folding, with folding the correct choice. By tweaking the number used to determine push/fold (perhaps something like 1.4 would be a better than 1.0?), this method may be improved.

Anyways, I often use this estimate as quick realtime guidance at the tables to keep me from making larger mistakes. What do you guys think of this rule of thumb?