Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-15-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Who bats 9th?

Batting your worst player last so he gets the least number of ABs throughout the season is often the prevailing logic in the NL. The pitcher usually bats last. (Allthough I'll admit that even when the pitcher is a decent hitter he still usually bats last even if he's a better hitter than one of the other 8.)

But in the AL that doesn't seem to be the case. Teams often will use a "second leadoff hitter" in the 9 hole. The Yankees hit Miguel Cairo 9th 2 years ago when he was hitting around .300 with very little power. Last year they used Robinson Cano (solid average, average power) a lot in the 9 hole. These are the examples I'm familiar with since I am a Yankees fan, but there are others throughout the league.

What do you guys think of this strategy?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Who bats 9th?

It's retarded. Bat your worst player 9th.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:22 AM

Miguel Cairo was the worst Yankee hitter that year, and Cano for most of the season was the Yankees worst hitter.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Miguel Cairo was the worst Yankee hitter that year, and Cano for most of the season was the Yankees worst hitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cairo was tied for second on the team in batting average with Jeter, just behind Matsui.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cairo was tied for second on the team in batting average with Jeter, just behind Matsui.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh wow, my bad.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:00 AM

It makes sense if you've got three guys you want to plug into the top two spots. You don't want to push your 3-4-5 guys down to 4-5-6, so you relocate your odd-man-out instead.

Like the '04 Sox, who had the '03 AL batting champ Mueller hitting 9th. It was down to him or Bellhorn The Rally Killer. Might as well put Bellhorn after the power hitters (Varitek/Nixon/Millar), and hope they cleared the bases before Bellhorn could do any damage.

Not many teams have that luxury. Varitek/Nixon/Millar would bat 3-4-5 on most teams (I mean the '04 Millar, who could get the ball out of the infield).

Speaking of Mueller, he signed with LA yesterday, and I can't believe Red Sox Nation has been quiet about it. I guess the Can't Complain After Winning A Title Grace Period is in full swing.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...even when the pitcher is a decent hitter he still usually bats last even if he's a better hitter than one of the other 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dontrell Willis should bat 5th this year.

He won't, but he should. Unless there's something to be said about not wanting your starter to run the bases in the Miami heat more than necessary.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...even when the pitcher is a decent hitter he still usually bats last even if he's a better hitter than one of the other 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dontrell Willis should bat 5th this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread is a joke.
Dontrelle has a career OPS of under .600
Old 12-15-2005, 11:57 AM

Like the '04 Sox, who had the '03 AL batting champ Mueller hitting 9th. It was down to him or Bellhorn The Rally Killer

bellhorn was AWESOME (relative to 2b and bottom third of the order hitters) in 04. managers should give their first born to have 7-9 hitters as effective as 04 bellhorn.

Speaking of Mueller, he signed with LA yesterday, and I can't believe Red Sox Nation has been quiet about it

probably because youkilis (and/or marte) can/will outproduce him going forward.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

probably because youkilis (and/or marte) can/will outproduce him going forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

and at 1/10th the cost [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

maybe fans are getting smart? doubtfull of course [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]