Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 01:11 AM

Default How do you respond to villain\'s river bet?

No real read here.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.30 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___double bets

5th Street - (3.15 BB)

Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.15 BB)

Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___raises___raises
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

River - (13.15 BB)

Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___???
Old 11-24-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Re: How do you respond to villain\'s river bet?

Call.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:01 AM

Is this even a serious question? Calling is the most obvious and most logical play, and it's not even close.

Don't play guessing games on the river.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:26 AM

You weren’t considering a fold - you were thinking about raising, right?
Well, I wouldn’t. First, most people wouldn’t cap 6th with just trip 9s. Second, you are risking 2 bets to win one; he’ll never 3-bet you on the river with a worse hand.
So call.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this even a serious question?

[/ QUOTE ]
No I just post to waste bandwidth and people's time. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this even a serious question?

[/ QUOTE ]
No I just post to waste bandwidth and people's time. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Owned!!!
Old 11-24-2005, 11:08 AM

Call, and IM me about the miserable beat you just took.
Then, kick the dog.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IM me about the miserable beat you just took.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was going to do that, then it would be about another hand from the same session. I complete with pocket kings. I have trip kings on fifth and have been betting the whole way. Some guy calls with fives - his last three cards are J J J. The other jack was dead. Naturally I didn't fill. This is after the one I told you about where some guy caps me on sixth with a four straight against my trip queens. He rivers one of two remaining jacks to complete the straight. Not to mention how my aces up on fourth gets called by some other clown who hits three hearts on the last three streets to turn a pair of threes into a miracle flush.

What a night - the poor dog. I gladly sacrificed myself to the greater good last night - helping to train these guys that chasing with garbage pays.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:42 AM

Call. The other guy should also be full, but you can't go around folding full houses.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Result

So here is the thinking I went through before deciding what to do. It actually took me quite a while to make this seemingly obvious decision.

1. This guy capped me on sixth, after I essentially told him with my three bet that that I could beat trip nines. This has to mean that he knows I have a boat, and that he can beat it. My head told me that this had to be the case. OR

2. He is one of those players who doesn't think enough about what the other guy has, fell in love with his trip nines, and just went wild. My gut (which usually kicks in before my head) told me that this was the case. It was my first reaction on the river, and my gut was screaming "raise!". After all, my other 5 was buried so the boat was nicely disguised, at least until my three bet I guess.

At no time was I considering the fold. I let the head win this battle and I called. All he had was the trip nines, so I won the pot. In the chat afterwards he explained that he put me on two pair.

So how do you decide when to let your gut/instinct over rule your head?