Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 05:52 AM

Default I\'m never gonna graduate college.

I have a Philosophy (logic & moral reasoning) test tomorrow at 10:45 AM. I have not been to the class in 4 weeks, and I have no idea what's going on. I had planned to cram for the exam tonight, but now I can't find my textbook anywhere.

I am royally f*cked. I'm now most likely going to have to drop the class and take it in the January winter session (which thanfully my school just added this week).

I hate my life. I honestly think I'd be better off just dropping out of college right now, 13 credits short of a degree and becoming a drifter or degenerate gambler or something.

I'm so tired, but I drank 3 cups of coffee while I was watching the WSOP off the Tivo so I could stay up to study afterwards.

So far, for the most part, the first 22 years of my life have mostly sucked. I somehow can't see the next 30-60 years being much better.

How the [censored] does anyone stay motivated in life? I'm sorry to ramble on and on, but I haven't more than 1 normal night of sleep in a row since March and I'm in one of my 4 am delirium modes.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:04 AM

Default Re: I\'m never gonna graduate college.

Meh. I hate college too. But I know I need a degree, so I just make it work. Motivate yourself through knowing you did a lot less work than the rest of the class and still got a good grade. I just got back from a Broken Social Scene concert, now I am on 2+2, and I have a test tomorrow at 10am in a class I have attended only once. Also I didn't buy the textbook. But since I know I need to get my [censored] done, I will stay up until 9am studying, and am willing to put significant money on me getting at least a B. Its a philosophy class, not advanced engineering!

In any case, the way to motivate yourself is to have a system of goals. If your whole life has sucked, and you are afraid the rest of it is going to as well, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. You are the only one who knows what would make you happy. I am sure something is out there, just find it and work hard for it. My goals happen to all require a college degree, and I do much better (and am more motivated) since I have made this mental association between college and my future.

Anyway hope this made sense, but the key is making yourself happy. It is possible.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:13 AM

Econ test in.........6 hours. Don't know what I'm doing. For a stupid freshman, college doesn't seem that hard, just like high school pretty much, but I can see how not doing your work and studying and all that crap might actually make a difference when youre, I dunno, 22?

BTW, I was suprised that you are 22. The challenge video made me think you were 25-27ish.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:16 AM

hang in there, Tony.

try to think positive: the stick of butter is half-consumed rather than there is an entire half left
Old 11-09-2005, 06:19 AM

meh. i'm supposed to graduate in december. i took 6 courses this semester just so i could finish off my measly history degree. of the marks i've received so far i'm failing 3 courses, and barely passing another. the other 2 courses i haven't had any marks for but i'm so far behind and know absolutely nothing for them because i haven't needed to know anything.

i had a 10 page paper worth 50% due last friday. i still haven't started it yet. the other paper i had to do so far this year i handed in 2 weeks late.

i didn't go to my first latin test because i was hungover.

everything is in shambles. will i graduate? i dunno, but i told my friend i'd give him $100 if i didn't
Old 11-09-2005, 06:26 AM

You're sleep deprived and under pressure. Life can be beautiful, just stop and look for it.

Life does suck badly in places, but just take your pleasure where you find it.

A cigarette, chilling to the TV, an orgasm, a piece of chocolate, enjoying silence, kissing, the oblivion of sleep...

Now smoke that baby, turn off the tube, jerk one out, have the choccy, shut up and kiss your ass goodnight and go to bed!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:32 AM

Take some tife off. I've been bumming around europe for the last 2 months - you don't need to a lot of money to do it, just buy a ticket and go.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-09-2005, 06:35 AM

I have 6 hours left to finish and I really couldn't care either if I had my degree or not. Its just a dumb piece of paper at this point, and tests and classes seem just as pointless. I just figure I might as well stick it out and get the proof that I suffered through 5 years of crap.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:39 AM

Honestly Tony, you ate 4 [censored] sticks of butter, and you're gonna let a test stop you?

sack up brother! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I feel you though, Im in the middle of trying to get all my trainscripts + FAFSA in, and the deadline is coming up. I have to get a place, get a job, all that crap.. not to mention I'd be happier not in college.

We all do it.

Just think of that test like a stick of butter... pwn that biatch! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 06:42 AM

The best thing you could do is drop out and go to a technical college and learn a skill in a one or two year program. This route will be a lot easier to motivate you toward going to class since you won't be required to take a bunch of general classes. Go out into the work force for a few years and make a little bit of money. Get a savings, then go back to college and finish your degree.

You are young and have all the time in the world. There is no need to rush into your final career decision right away. You can always go back to college.

On a side note, have you ever thought about seeing a doctor for Adult ADD? Many people with ADD have the exact same experiences in college. I happen to be one of them. I ended up dropping out because I couldn't motivate myself to go to class. I turned to poker for a short term job and I plan on going back to college down the road. After I was diagnosed with ADD and got on proper medication, everything started to click. It was like a weight was taken off my back. I'm 26 now and think I will continue to play poker for another 3-4 years before I go back. I bet you are younger than me so you have even more time than I do to experience the world and grow up a little before returning to school.