Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Technology comfort zone: Where do you fit in and why stop there?

(1) I dont like technology and would not partake in anything developed after 1500.
(2) If I could take a medication which would save my life I would.
(3) If I was physically injured I would allow a doctor to repair me.
(4) If I was mentally damaged I would allow a doctor to repair me.
(5) If I needed a body part replacement I would allow it to the point of using one removed from another person.
(6) If I needed a brain cell replacement I would allow it to the point of using one removed from another person.
(7) If I needed a body part replacement I would allow it no matter what.
(8) If I needed brain cell replacement I would allow it no matter what.
(9) If I could get physical inhancement from artificial implants I would take them.
(10) If I could get mental enhancement from artificial implants I would take them.
(11) If I could get a fully new cloned body of myself at any age I chose I would take it.
(12) If I could get a fully new cloned body of someone with a superior body to my own I would take it.
(13) If I could transfer my mental process to a computer with the ability to expand beyond my current abilities I would do it.
(14) If I could copy my brain functions to computer and maintain my body and mine functions I would do it.
(15) if I could copy my current brain functions to computer every few years and maintain my current brain functions I would do it.
(16) I could transfer my mind functions to a Cloned body of mine with superior intellectual functioning I would do it.
(17) If I could transfer or copy my mind and body to a superior body to mine with a computer link with greater potential than my current intellectual limits I would to it.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Technology comfort zone: Where do you fit in and why stop there?

[ QUOTE ]
(1) I dont like technology and would not partake in anything developed after 1500.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you'll get a lot of votes for this on an internet forum.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:46 PM

18: sexbots
Old 09-19-2005, 03:27 AM

Definitely past (1) and (2), definitely stop before (9), others depending on definitions/circumstances.

I'd even say I agree with (1) if it also applied to everyone else because then the world would be a better place to live IMO. Being the only one not using technology is not good though.

Reason: the Unabomber said it better than I could...

"1. The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race. They have greatly increased the life-expectancy of those of us who live in "advanced" countries, but they have destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological suffering (in the Third World to physical suffering as well) and have inflicted severe damage on the natural world. The continued development of technology will worsen the situation. It will certainly subject human beings to greater indignities and inflict greater damage on the natural world, it will probably lead to greater social disruption and psychological suffering, and it may lead to increased physical suffering even in "advanced" countries. "

Full text here
Old 09-19-2005, 05:11 AM

Number 17 for me.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:02 AM

Thats not the kind of why I had in mind more along the lines of
(a) I want my life to be the same quality it is now but not better.
(b) I want my life to be improved.
(c) I want my life to be improved but not beyond what DNA can provide.
(D) I want my life span to be expanded.
(E) I want my life span to be expanded to infinity.
etc....
Old 09-19-2005, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have ... made life unfulfilling,

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who live unfulfilling lives do so by their own choice. The progress of mankind has allowed humans to do, learn, be, and experience more than ever before. There have always been hoardes of unfulfilled humans leading desperate lives (peasants, serfs, ,,,). Those who decide to live automaton unfulfilled materialistic lives would probably have led automaton unfulfilling lives on a farm or primitive village as well.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those who live unfulfilling lives do so by their own choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, time is our most valuable resource, the IR led to us having much less of it. Accepting set working hours and the trappings of a regular wage was definitely the worst decision made in the history of the working classes.

Mack