Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Aces in deck; never seen this analysis?

been curious about this, but never seen it written anywhere.

when you have a hand with a high number of players seeing the flop (relative to average for that table), does it not suggest that a few of the aces might be in the hands at the table??... therefore, much less likely that an Ace will hit. all the more reason NOT to play A8 and A7 and stuff like that.

two things i saw on weekend:

gus hansen in showdown with AJo. but two aces had been folded, so he only had one ace chance.

saw a tie between four hands online and they all had aces so there were no aces left in deck to hit the board.

i assume that alot of the various starting hand charts take this into account but it's never been mentioned. people always talk about outs, and correct for fact that an OUT might not win, but i was thinking when you have AKo, you often don't have 6 possible aces and kings to hit.

are there any articles on this phenomenon?? i'm sure people will pounce in and say obvious point, but i've never seen it referenced ever.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Aces in deck; never seen this analysis?

It's pretty hairy stuff. There is AFAIK no strong consensus on what good moves are with which hand where.

To make things more complicated, strongly multi-way hands make seeing the flop with weaker hands much more worthwhile because the pot odds are much better. An example that was mentioned here a while ago is that, heads up, 7-2 offsuit is actually stronger than 3-2 offsuit, but that 3-2 is stronger in multi-way action. So, with four other people in the pot, those pocket eights look a whole lot better, even without accounting for all the high cards that are probably out.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:26 PM

Never seen anything formally written up on it, but when I see an early raiser and a couple cold callers, I typically figure at least 1, if not 2, of the aces are in play. At lower levels anyway (3/6), people will cold call a lot of AXs or an ace with any broadway card.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never seen anything formally written up on it, but when I see an early raiser and a couple cold callers, I typically figure at least 1, if not 2, of the aces are in play. At lower levels anyway (3/6), people will cold call a lot of AXs or an ace with any broadway card.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, people playing any ace and playing it to the end has been my #1 money maker and something i almost never lose on (cause i will almost never even play A9o, consistent with miller's book). sometimes i walk into AA though.... but i think the Axo fixation is #1 fish characteristic.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:33 PM

do you mean that the eights look better because it's possible that the other players all have similar holdings and their outs are used up or they are in a dominated situation, and that there is a greater chance that they are not holding an 8? or do you mean that the 8s hold up for another reason?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 PM

This is discussed in a couple of books (Cloutier comes to mind). The term most generally used for it is "the bunching effect".

The general concensus (Cloutier excluded) is that there is a little something to it, but not very much, and not really worth considering. There isn't a strong enough ratio of A hands to non-A hands for it to be a significant factor.

I don't even think about it, I'm playing 5/10 6m.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:27 AM

Your "outs" are part of a group of cards known as the unknown cards. If you need an ace or king to win the hand you have 6 outs, but most of the time you don't really have a full 6 outs because they've been dealt out to the other players or are in the burn pile. But, you can assume that over long run, the ratio of cards that help you and cards that don't help you that have been dealt out make it to where your chances of winning the hand are the same.

to put it somewhat matematically...

You need to hit an Ace or King to win and (let's pretend we're on the turn), there are 6 known cards (2 in your hand, 4 on the board) none of which are an ace or king, so you need to hit one of 6 outs to win on the river. 6 outs/ 50 unknown cards = 12% chance to win

Let's say that we somehow knew what the other 9 players had held and thrown away (or still have) and that 1 ace is gone and 1 king is gone so you only have 4 outs, but now there are only 32 unknown cards. 4 outs /32 unknown = 12.5%

So, you can see, even though 2 of your cards were held by otehr players and already dead, you still have about the same chance of winning.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:30 AM

trumpman and others, thanks for the responses, and that makes sense that the ratios don't change that much.

although at table where 4-5 see flop on average, you have to wonder when 7-8 see the flop.... another reason suited connectors are good in those situations as they have a great uniqueness to them.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you mean that the eights look better because it's possible that the other players all have similar holdings and their outs are used up or they are in a dominated situation, and that there is a greater chance that they are not holding an 8? or do you mean that the 8s hold up for another reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

The more people in the pot, the less 88 (or any hand) will hold up, of course. But you'll turn a much higher profit with 88 (or any other small/mid pocket pair) when you have many opponents, even though you're winning fewer pots. This is because - assuming you're playing correctly - you'll win a whole lot more on your occasional wins with 88 than you lose in your many losses. Do you see why?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:44 PM

One of Doyle's favorite hands is 65 because he feels that it's str8 possiblities aren't likely to overlap most of your opponents, assuming they're playing typical high card hands. Also he argues that it would be harder for an opponent to put you on a hand if the boards hits you, even for a gutshot. Given the above discussion, it does make sense (of course this assumes one's postflop skills and reading ability needs either on or close to his level to make these types of hands profitable - I'm not even remotely close!).