Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-28-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Openraise with a wide range of hands

This was a reply to another post but I'd like to make it a post of it's own because I think the subject is quite interesting. It's about openraise in a shorthanded (6-table)game directly translated from HPFAP. Do any of you guys play like this?

UTG and UTG+1 is similair to be in Mid position in a 10-table game. In HPFAP they suggest to open with a raise if no one has yet entered the pot with category 5 and 6 hands like 55, ATo, 65s, JT, Axs and K9s.
If you're on CO or Button you should openraise with category 7 hands (or sometimes even 8) like 22, J8o, and 86s.

Do you think this is a correct approach for a 6-table game?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Openraise with a wide range of hands

A lot of people will tell you that it's table-dependent. I could go as low as Sklansky suggests against a tight table, but generally, I don't go quite as low with pocket pairs (maybe down to 88), suited connectors (JTs), or Axs (down to A8s, maybe?). But I'm a little on the tight side.

Generally, I've noticed that aggression, particularly PF aggression tends to be a little higher in 6-max, so I'm going to be a little more cautious UTG 6-max than I would be in MP full-ring. But it's close.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:28 AM

Is it because the blinds defend themselves better?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:46 AM

No, it's cause people think you are full of [censored] when you openraise UTG.

I know I do. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 11:25 AM

I agree you need to be a little more selective utg here. ATo and 55 are alight, but K9s is dubious 65s unthinkable and Axs and JT also a bit to loose for my tastes. I find in these short handed games Ax (be it suited or not) is highly overvalued and causes more trouble than its worth.

As far as those cutoff hands the only one worth raising in most games is 22 (which im still not crazy about) but J8o and 86s will get way to much defense from blinds and difficult post flop, so i would advise just mucking them.