Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Painful sport defeats

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I speak for all red sox fans when I say...

2003 Game 7 ALCS

I'm sure I speak for all yankees fans when I say...

2004 Game 7 ALCS

[/ QUOTE ]
Having never been part of the whole Red Sox-Yankees rivalry thing, is it worse to lose in the ALCS to the other than it is to lose in the World Series? (Say, 2004 ALCS Game 7 vs. 2001 WS Game 7)

[/ QUOTE ]

As for these specific games, 2001 WS Game 7 was definitely worse than 2004 ALCS Game 7.

In 2001 we had the victory in hand, and Mariano (who was invincible) on the mound. The thought of losing didn't even enter my mind.

As for 2004, after Damon's grand slam, things were looking very bleak. It was a very slow death in 2004, which is a lot easier to handle. In game 4 when the Bosox came back to win, it was not that big a game in my opinion because I still thought the Yanks would win a later game.

Assuming the same type of collapse, it is a REALLY tough question, but I guess if I had to choose, I would rather lose the World Series Game 7. I just really hope it's not in 2001 fashion.

But why deal with hypotheticals?

NEW YORK YANKEES: 2006 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS OR BUST.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:54 PM

i have a secret theory, but I will never tell it to anyone. I can tell you the consequence: the yankees aint winning a WS for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:51 PM

1987 - Indiana 74, Syracuse 73

Why do people keep torturing me with these threads?!?
Old 12-23-2005, 05:22 PM

I hate this picture so much.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:03 PM

1981 NLCS Game 5 -- Blue Monday. The Expos never made the playoffs again. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

2004 - Game 7 of the opening round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Senators lose yet another playoff round to the hated Maple Leafs. Losing was bad enough, but losing solely because of Patrick Lalime's incompetence made this a very bitter pill to swallow. Every Senators fan *knew* that Lalime wasn't good enough to carry the team far into the playoffs, but the team steadfastly refused to pick up a better goalie at the trade deadline. Sure enough, Lalime let in two soft goals early in the game and ended yet another Senators playoff run at the hands of the Leafs.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:58 PM

Not painful for me personally, but I'm sure the 1992 wild card Buffalo/Houston game was pretty painful to some. They just showed an NFL films thing on it this afternoon and I still remember watching that game when I didn't even care about either team.

Houston 35 - Buffalo 3 part way through the third quarter.
Buffalo 41 - Houston 38 in overtime.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1981 NLCS Game 5 -- Blue Monday. The Expos never made the playoffs again. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

2004 - Game 7 of the opening round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Senators lose yet another playoff round to the hated Maple Leafs. Losing was bad enough, but losing solely because of Patrick Lalime's incompetence made this a very bitter pill to swallow. Every Senators fan *knew* that Lalime wasn't good enough to carry the team far into the playoffs, but the team steadfastly refused to pick up a better goalie at the trade deadline. Sure enough, Lalime let in two soft goals early in the game and ended yet another Senators playoff run at the hands of the Leafs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did this hurt anymore than the previous years?
Old 12-24-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did this hurt anymore than the previous years?

[/ QUOTE ]

They've all been pretty painful, but the last one was the worst, simply because of the way they lost it. They'd won in 2OT in game 6 to force game 7, and it looked like they had the momentum going into the game. But, just as everyone in Ottawa predicted would happen, Lalime totally choked and handed the Leafs the game.

The only saving grace is that they finally got rid of Radek Bonk, Jacques Martin, and Patrick Lalime as a result of the loss.