Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 12:57 AM

Default A hand where I felt all I could do was get to showdown and be a fish

All the villians were other unknown or seeming reasonable/tagish. 19/11/1.5 or something.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks and plans to call one bet but not two.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: A hand where I felt all I could do was get to showdown and be a fi

I don't really see the point of calling a river bet - it's a protected pot, if he bets AGAIN into two players you don't have the best hand. Even if he was floating a spade draw, that made, so...what are you ahead of?

Other than that nh.

Will
Old 12-14-2005, 01:29 AM

FLOP: I would not cap this flop, becuz of the texture of this board and the opponent who is 3 betting. You raised preflop, there is not flush draw on this board, your opponent is 3 betting this flop with 2 people already committed for 2sb's, which means this 3 bet is more for value than for elimination even though it appears his 3 bet is pressuring you off your hand. He knows you can have an overpair, and he is telling you he doesnt care. Keep this in mind, a logical, tight, aggressive player is doing the 3 betting here.

Can he have a hand like KK or QQ? NOPE cuz he wouldve limp reraised you if he limped with those.

Can he have a straight draw with 86s that hes 3 betting becuz of his equity edge on the flop and possible free turn card? NOPE becuz he would fold this hand preflop.

Could he have a hand like 88? NOPE becuz he wouldnt 3 bet in this spot with 2 people already committed for 2 small bets, he would either call or fold and evaluate his best options if he made it to the turn. The same goes for a hand like A7s.

What about 99? NOPE for the same reasons as 88 and also becuz he wouldve raised 99 and maybe even 88 too judging by his stats.
So basically theres only one type of hand here the TAG can have that makes sense, its 77,55,22. Also of note is the villains postflop aggression numbers which really arent that high which furthur supports that he has a set.

There is actually a chance the BB or the UTG+1 outflopped you also, although on the flop I would be more concerned with MP1 then anybody else, but still UTG+1 cold calling on that flop is a bit odd.

Anyways I think youre drawing to 2 outs and your getting 8-1 and your not even closing the action so I think you should fold the flop. Bye Bye Aces.

TURN: Given that you made it this far you have to call, you have 2 ace outs and 4 dirty 3 outs, that is more than enough to call the turn.

RIVER: This pot is huge, I dont see how you can win though, but this pot is huge, I like your plan of calling one and not two.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:14 AM

agreed.. you're throwing away a BB with a call here. you're almost CERTAIN to face a bet, possible raise war going on here with a board pair and a 3 flush.

thats just one of those hands that your AA gets destroyed.. save yourself the agony of spending your money to see the other guys turn up hands you had killed and you paid off.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:42 AM

Default result

Folding the flop is bad bad bad. All I've done is raise once PF and bet the flop, no reason for anyone to suspect an overpair and certainly no reason to suspect AA.

The river was checked around. BB had QQ, UTG+1 had 42s, MP1 had KK and my hand was good.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: result

Hey, atleast I got the turn and river right [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I really thought the MP1 guy couldnt have a hand like KK since this holding wasnt logical, and MP1 had the stats of a logical player. I think this is a good example of how not factoring in the "illogical possibilties" of a situation can lead someone to make a mistake, and when the pot is large like in your hand this can be a big mistake. I think thats where my analysis was flawed, I didnt factor in the illogical.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:55 AM

It was perfectly reasonable to not put him on KK. I certainly didn't. I thought an overplayed overpair, a 7, or a set but the pot was too big for me to fold.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:58 AM

players who play KK or QQ like that always blow my mind into smithereens. either way i'd play it the same way and by the river i'd be expecting to lose, but still calling.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:09 PM

you need to work on your reads. because none of these guys were reasonable in this hand, on one street or another.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:04 PM

Maybe a higher illogic factor being a 5-10 game?

PairTheBoard