Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: How good a driver are you?

[ QUOTE ]

Some people claim to be great drivers and then they are weaving in and out of traffic going 90, yeah, riiiiite.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me. I'm not saying this is safe, but you must be confident in your abilities to be able to do this. I scare the sh*t out of my GF and brother by doing this occasionally. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I will probably die in a car wreck. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But hopefully I won't take down anyone else.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:09 PM

i'm probably the best driver here.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 PM

Been driving around Boston for the last year so I am a masshole. I am a decent driver but likely over aggresive at times.

When not driving through Boston I think I am a good driver...but in Boston thats a different story.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't drive, I don't have a license

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me... what percentage of adult NYers own cars and if so, how many miles do they put on their car per year?

I live in Houston, which encompasses over 600 square miles. Driving a lot is mandatory. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Some people claim to be great drivers and then they are weaving in and out of traffic going 90, yeah, riiiiite.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me. I'm not saying this is safe, but you must be confident in your abilities to be able to do this. I scare the sh*t out of my GF and brother by doing this occasionally. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I will probably die in a car wreck. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But hopefully I won't take down anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]if you do that, then you are a horrible driver.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Been driving around Boston for the last year so I am a masshole. I am a decent driver but likely over aggresive at times.

When not driving through Boston I think I am a good driver...but in Boston thats a different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually a good point. It definitely is situational. If you try to keep six car lengths between you and the next car (or whatever distance you're supposed to per the driving instructor) good luck getting anywhere in a city. My wife who grew up in a rural area likes to be in the right lane a good three miles before her exit; I'm cool with getting there three hundred feet before.

Swede
Old 11-17-2005, 01:17 PM

I'd say I'm an above average driver. 9 years, about 120,000 miles, a couple fender benders at 16-17 yrs of age, but no major wrecks.

I don't think being a safe driver and a good driver are necessarily the same things. Some of the weaving in and out at 90 mph types are actually very skilled drivers with amazingly good judgement, but are still not good drivers due to their wrecklessness. A lot of very passive and cautious drivers may never get into an accident, but they'll cause a traffic jam in city traffic and are hopeless if called on to parallel park. I try to be a standard 15 mph over the speed limit driver who can get where I need to go quickly without causing undue hazard to the drivers around me. Judgement and parallel parking is above average but not great.

You pretty much have your LAGs, Weak tights, and I'm trying to be a TAG. Perhaps an inappropriate reference.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:18 PM

I'm the best.

I drove taxi on and off for 5 years..150-200 miles per shift. Only got in one accident when a drunk ran a red light and T-boned me.

I was once going 65 on the interstate in my pickup when I started fishtailing and was able to catch myself. That was awesome.
I'm sure I've avoided other accidents most people would have gotten into.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]if you do that, then you are a horrible driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

good driving != safe, boring driving
Old 11-17-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think being a safe driver and a good driver are necessarily the same things

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point!