Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Do you ever feel bad about taking someone\'s money?

Ever see "The Color of Money"?

-ZEN
Old 11-14-2005, 07:07 PM

A no-limit game. I once won a 400BB pot with a flopped flush against my opponents set of aces, with which he was very confident. He left the table and looked very sad. I felt bad for him for a second, but then I looked at all my pretty chips and got distracted.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:13 PM

Against other guys no... Against any stupid person, no.

But for some reason I have a hard time taking money from girls, especially the ones that are trying to play the game correctly but are just way in over their heads against me. Its a weakness of mine.

Although against any person regardless of sex that purposely plays the game to suck you out in the stupidest way possible, then no, I will try as hard as possible to stack them.

I've had ample oppurtinities to stack a friend of mine, but I would always softplay the nuts against her.

I let my conscience decide whats best. If I lose a few thousand over the course of a year because of it, so be it.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:17 PM

Anytime you feel bad about taking a fish's money, just wait until you start running real bad and they are taking your money. Do you think they feel sorry for you?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:52 PM

How bad would that guy have felt if he'd rivered on you during a hand in which he had no business at all playing? Would he have said, "Oh well, you're clearly the better player, and I just got lucky. Here's your money back." I know you have to make your monthly nut."?

Bahhhh. Stick it to that tourist. If he wants to gamble, he should be sticking to the slots or blackjack where his odds aren't so poor.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:05 PM

I guess that it depends on how you see your role at the table.

If you are there to have fun and sometimes make some money on the side, then this is recreation for you and being a sport may have some priority so you feel good about what you are doing.

If you are doing this as your main income, then you are a pro and it is your job to take every dime that you can at the table. It has been said that it is a crime to every let a sucker walk away with anything, even bus fare. If you feel bad about it later, you can always loan him some money for a cab or whatever.

It sounds like the guy had money and was looking to blow some of it during his vacation. No reason not to accomodate him as much as possible.

My take on it, anyway.

Shauna
Old 11-14-2005, 09:21 PM

I feel kind of bad taking money from someone who clearly has a gambling problem or is hurting themselves by playing in the game. This happened to me playing 3/6 about a week ago; the guy sitting next to me was clearly working-class and mentioned that he had just lost $300 or $400 and was supposed to have picked up his kids 15 minutes ago. That being said, I didn't hesitate to relieve him of as many chips as I possibly could. I just felt like I was selling him rope I knew he would hang himself with.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:56 PM

I decided awhile ago I wouldn't feel bad for others while playing poker. Including taking their money, monster suckouts, or any other situation. I can manage myself just fine, if they can't then it's their problem.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:16 PM

You didn't take the rent money from a welfare mom or Social Security money from a senior citizen. You won money from a gambler who wanted to get heads up with you. No need to feel guilty. I doubt anyone in the Big Game feels guilty after taking some whale's money.

If you have a moral problem taking a certain person's chips, then I suggest you find another table. It is a distraction you do not need.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:04 PM

I think a lot of questions in this forum can be answered by:

do whatever makes you feel best.

Me personally, I'm ok with it