Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Is Linux worth it to a casual PC user???

Do I need to bother switching to Linux?? Frankly, my pc is fine with XP and I don't really have problems. Why do people bother with Linux if there isn't much software for it. I have heard you can't even run Stars or any pokersites on Linux. I realize it is more stable but again, why bother?
Is Linux just for the nerd herd and people who hate Bill Gates??
Old 11-02-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Is Linux worth it to a casual PC user???

you will likely experience no benefit from using it, unless you consider learning something different a benefit.

It's a lot of fun to toy around with, but, you really probably won't have any need for it, and it will just not get used in your case if you have to keep switching back to windows for poker, etc.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:16 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

no
Old 11-02-2005, 01:18 PM

I use Linux a lot and have since about 1998--I'm using it now. I like being able to use my PC the way I want to--not the way Microsoft thinks I should. For me, Linux is a much more comfortable programming environment.

OK, software. There is a lot of software for Linux and most of it is free. The only things that I missed from Windows were poker clients (see below) and some specialized business applications. If your software needs are mainstream productivity applications, web surfing, etc., then you are probably OK with Linux.

I have been playing about 1,000 hands/day on PokerStars under Linux, using Wine. Wine is a "Windows compatability layer" that allows Windows programs to run on Linux. I also run Pokerstove on Linux/Wine. I have not yet attempted to run the Party client under Wine, but will when I feel like playing there again. I'm not a gamer, but I understand that some games work well under Wine.

If you are a computer user and are happy with Windows, then don't bother with Linux. If you want to learn more about computers or take full control of your computer, then consider Linux. If you want to have far fewer concerns about spyware, viruses, worms, and malware, in general, then consider Linux.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:03 PM

this is a case of, "If you have to ask....." People that need linux already know why they need it. I'd say you don't, off the cuff.

If you want to check it out find a knoppix ISO image and burn it. It's a live linux distro that's all on one CDROM. It's slow to load (CDROM, after all) but you can at least see what all the fuss is about.

BTW, there is LOTS of software for linux, it's just different software. Network stuff, programming stuff, etc. Linux is light on video/audio editing, choice of office apps, 1st run games, things like that.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:09 PM

I say people switch to linux due to just not liking using windows anymore. It is certain a different way to run an OS. People like redhat, because for all the stuff you have to install, it does it all for you right off the cd.

The thing about linux is now you run Xwindows and you have this way different desktop. More customizeable, transparent windows, and all sorts of neat menu commands you can do.

My advice, get a seperate HD, install it just on that hd, and see what you think of it.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:49 PM

Normal users do not need Linux. I use it on my desktop for programming, a couple of server applications, and browsing the Internet. It does these things very well. I use my laptop with Windows XP for playinog poker. It does this very well.

If you want to learn about it, go for it. Be careful and back up windows before you do anything stupid though. My favorite distribution right now is Ubuntu, very nice to use. I did try out Fedora Core 4 for a couple of weeks in late August and it is also very nice. Be prepared to download a couple of gigabytes though, I think FC4 is a 4 cd install.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:24 AM

perfect answer
Old 11-03-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have not yet attempted to run the Party client under Wine, but will when I feel like playing there again. I'm not a gamer, but I understand that some games work well under Wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to run the Party client under wine and was unsuccesful, if you figure it out, let me know.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 PM

Maelstrom.