Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 10-07-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: middle school is great

[ QUOTE ]
This whole thread is funny. It's a series of I heard this person is....

Why post if you've never met the person?

I played with at Duke's table for much of WSOP event #3 (and knocked her out after she was short stacked) and was briefly at her table for event 1. The entire time she was polite to everyone at the table including the dealers. She was very approachable, nice to talk to, etc. This despite the crowds of 40 year old droolers who follow her around and take her picture or ask for autographs while she's in the middle of hands. Other people asked to clear the droolers from the rail, but she was nothing but polite.

If you want to make your determination about someone strictly from second hand stories...toss this one in the mix...

[/ QUOTE ]

I played with her for several hours at the WPF last year and I have to agree that she was very nice to everyone at the table and pretty tolerant to the many fans that kept trying to get her attention while we were playing.

I will say however that her demeanor towards me changed in accordance to my chip stack. I found this rather peculiar. Most players will look at the chip leader of the table differently, it was just odd to see that transformation happen with her over the course of a few hours. I went from persona non grata to "hey, what's your sign?" kinda thing. When my chip lead fell off I was back to persona non grata. It was just weird, but it may not have been intentional at all. It may have been more of a subconscious thing because everyone wants to be buddy buddy with the chip leader so he won't came after you.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: I knew it!

[ QUOTE ]

I played with her for several hours at the WPF last year and I have to agree that she was very nice to everyone at the table and pretty tolerant to the many fans that kept trying to get her attention while we were playing.

I will say however that her demeanor towards me changed in accordance to my chip stack. I found this rather peculiar. Most players will look at the chip leader of the table differently, it was just odd to see that transformation happen with her over the course of a few hours. I went from persona non grata to "hey, what's your sign?" kinda thing. When my chip lead fell off I was back to persona non grata. It was just weird, but it may not have been intentional at all. It may have been more of a subconscious thing because everyone wants to be buddy buddy with the chip leader so he won't came after you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the term for that is 'stack whore'.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: I knew it!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the term for that is 'stack whore'.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I hadn't learned a new word yet today. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Annie gets called out again!

I know DN has retracted pretty much everything he wrote/thought about Duke and they are actually 'friends' now.

Stack whore - She does so much talking at the table, of course she is going to be trying to throw of the game of the people with the most chips / overall more threatening players. Just like the quite guy is going to try to stare you down more than stare down the guy with 3 BB.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:04 PM

if she looked at my hole cards i'd be tempted to grab the bitch by her hair and beat her to death joe pesci style.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I played with at Duke's table for much of WSOP event #3 (and knocked her out after she was short stacked) and was briefly at her table for event 1. The entire time she was polite to everyone at the table including the dealers.

If you want to make your determination about someone strictly from second hand stories...toss this one in the mix...

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlike you and a few others, most everyone here knows only what we see on TV. As we all SHOULD know, TV is heavily edited for drama. So what we generally see of Annie Duke or anyone else on TV is a few highlights of high pressure decisions, and reactions to the outcome.

Given all of that, it is my personal opinion that Annie is a poor loser, and I don't like that. What I have seen on TV is sufficient evidence of that for me, and cannot be offset by any amount of otherwise graciousness.

On TV, she comes across, or is made out to be, about a 90% bitch. Many here do not look beyond that image. I am quite willing to believe that she is 90% or even 99% gracious and polite. I still don't like her. That reflects my values and how I think professionals should behave.

The highly competitive nature and upbringing of Annie and her brother are well documented. The difference in their behaviour when thing don't go their way is like night and day. I respect them both for their skills. I respect Howard for his professionalism.

Norman Chad had a line about Hellmuth being not only a poor loser, but a poor winner. Annie is a gracious winner. She could stand a lot of improvement on the other end of the spectrum.

I also think that she is an elitest, and feels that playing with anyone other than the top 1% of players in the world is demeaning to her. This may also be TV image, but I have seen enough of it to make up my mind, and to feel that no amount of politeness the other 95% of the time makes up for that.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I played with at Duke's table for much of WSOP event #3 (and knocked her out after she was short stacked) and was briefly at her table for event 1. The entire time she was polite to everyone at the table including the dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlike you and a few others, most everyone here knows only what we see on TV. As we all SHOULD know, TV is heavily edited for drama. So what we generally see of Annie Duke or anyone else on TV is a few highlights of high pressure decisions, and reactions to the outcome.

Given all of that, it is my personal opinion that Annie is a poor loser, and I don't like that. What I have seen on TV is sufficient evidence of that for me, and cannot be offset by any amount of otherwise graciousness.

On TV, she comes across, or is made out to be, about a 90% bitch. Many here do not look beyond that image. I am quite willing to believe that she is 90% or even 99% gracious and polite. I still don't like her. That reflects my values and how I think professionals should behave.

The highly competitive nature and upbringing of Annie and her brother are well documented. The difference in their behaviour when thing don't go their way is like night and day. I respect them both for their skills. I respect Howard for his professionalism.

Norman Chad had a line about Hellmuth being not only a poor loser, but a poor winner. Annie is a gracious winner. She could stand a lot of improvement on the other end of the spectrum.

I also think that she is an elitest, and feels that playing with anyone other than the top 1% of players in the world is demeaning to her. This may also be TV image, but I have seen enough of it to make up my mind, and to feel that no amount of politeness the other 95% of the time makes up for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post.

It reminded me of the 'nuts' segment on howard and annie playing all the games of their childhood. Howard said something like 'and when Annie lost, boards and pieces would go flying across the room'...

...and get your smelly bare feet off the fu*king chair. Christ!
Old 10-08-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

how could anyone think annie duke is attractive? i mean, she's not a complete dog, but could never be considered good looking. even for an older woman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people have argued that those who DON'T think that annie duke is attractive are just young, college-students who can't see beyond their age-group or the skinny models in Stuff magazine, etc.

Well, I'm 34....and I am not attracted to the magazine-type models either.

I don't think Annie Duke is terribly attractive.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:34 PM

she's nothing special, but not a bad looking 40 year old mother of however many kids. I kinda like her style, but her face is a bit crazy. Overall life could be a lot worse if my wife ends up looking like her in 20 years.

(and i'm one of those crazy 19 year old college kids)
Old 10-08-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've tried my best to search for DN's articles about her incidents, but have had no luck. what is the name of the article? searching for "annie duke" yields the wrong results on dan's website. does anyone have the link?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been over there in ages but DN posted the story on the newsgroup rec.gambling.poker a few years ago. Later it was re-posted (perhaps by someone else with Daniel commenting) on 2+2 but with the 6 month search limit it's hard to find.

If you use Google's Advanced Group Search find Daniel's old posting name and cross on terms such as "Annie" "feet" "Bellagio" "chairs" and "disgusting".