Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: 2+2 Stock Trading Competition

Hi Dan,
I ran into my glitch signing up. I used a junk email address so I would not be bombarbed with spam. Turns out that is my screen name on the virtual competition.
Wildwood = paral2004lax-ebay
Old 07-04-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Dan,
I ran into my glitch signing up. I used a junk email address so I would not be bombarbed with spam. Turns out that is my screen name on the virtual competition.
Wildwood = paral2004lax-ebay

[/ QUOTE ]

mine did the same thing, though my junk email is my named email. since my name will be famous when I win the WSOP [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], it doesn't matter. jameson.painter it is
Old 07-05-2005, 08:45 AM

Lots of problems with screen names, it seems. I screwed up also. I don't think I was never prompted for a screen name at signup.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:15 AM

i just bought my stocks, and everything went ok, but when i look at my portfolio it says I still have 500,000 in cash. With no transactions. Does it take a while to show up?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:19 AM

I had the same experience. There is a time lag.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:49 AM

Default HOW TO ESTABLISH POSITIONS starting JULY 05

Ok so I go to the competition site on MarketWatch and enter orders today. It was non-obvious to me how to establish positions. I did figure it out, and I share that info now.

Here are the steps for getting your orders in.

1. Click the competition link
a. Stock Trading Competition Link
2. Enter competition name:
a. twoplustwoevent001
3. Enter password:
a. fishyfish
4. Look to the lower left, you will see the ‘TRADING TOOLBOX’, here you can enter:
a. SYMBOL
b. QUANTITY
c. ORDER TYPE (buy, sell)
5. This is the place to add and liquidate positions. Once you enter the Symbol/Quantity/Order Type info, and click the [Trade] button, you will brought to a trading screen where you can enter all trade details. This is how you add items to the portfolio, and also how you liquidate existing positions.

Please give this a try before you post any problems or glitches getting started. Once you enter orders you are on your way. Give it a try.

One word to the wise. The quotes are delayed 20 minutes, so the price info is 20 minutes stale. Say a stock you are watching just went up $1 in the last 10 minutes. You theoretically could buy it for this competition at the 20-minutes-ago price, and see an instant gain in this little exercise.

It doesnt work that way, however. Orders are not filled instantly. The reality is that all orders take 20 minutes to execute, even Market Orders, so you can't game the system that way.

All your orders apparently fill 20 minutes from when you enter the order.

Good luck to all.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:51 AM

It takes 20 minutes, which is the same as the delay on the quote feed they use on MarketWatch for this feature. I just posted 'ESTABLISHING POSITIONS' on this thread on July 05 for readers that may need a few pointers getting started.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:03 PM

Default ANYONE CAN SIGN UP AT ANYTIME HERE

A note to all:

New participants can come in up to the LAST DAY of this event; signing up by July 05 is not a requirement.

ANYONE CAN SIGN UP AT ANYTIME.

Current participants can help develop this competition by mentioning, talking it up in the 2+2 Forums where you are well known.

For example anyone that frequents the Probability or Theory forums that can make a small mention of it will likely add many new players and make this game much more interesting overall.

Good luck to all.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:13 PM

Default TAKE THE TRADER QUIZ

Where are you in terms of being prepared, now?

http://www.traderscalm.com/cq.php
Old 07-05-2005, 04:08 PM

The software has leaves alot to be desired, not the least of which is that in-the-money orders are not always executed.

For example, I had an order to buy stock at price X (order was recorded at 2:33PM) ...stock traded below X several times in the subsequent 82 minutes (until the 4:00PM close), bottoming at(X-.35), yet my buy-to-cover order was not filled.

This statement, taken from the trading-rules section of the website, does not give me alot of confidence: "We will check each stop and limit order every few minutes to see if the stop/limit price has been met until the market close. Day orders will expire if the Stop/Limit price is not met."

From my experience today, execution is sporadic. Based on this fact (my experience) this is not going to be a very good trading test, IMO. It still might work okay if you manage with low turnover and use market orders - but I have lost confidence in the ability to use limit orders and/or high turnover (i.e. trading).