Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 06-29-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: 2+2 Stock Trading Competition

[ QUOTE ]
Let's set one of these up and see how the 2+2ers do trading. There is little doubt winning poker and winning trading are positively correlated.

I'd like to see something structured in at least a 4-month timeframe so the buy-the-breakout, sell-the-breakdown types can't just jump in and get lucky. I also want to be able to go short as well as long, with no leverage. No options. Just pure long or short stock.

Who wants to take participate in this?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I set it up on Marketwatch.com. Please note I have no experience with the MarketWatch system for setting up this kind of thing. It appears full-featured and ready to go.

The TwoPlusTwo Stock Trading Competition

Here is the structure:

1. 500K starting cash;
2. Long and short stock only-- no options or margin;
3. Start date July 05;
4. End date Sept30 2005;

Here are the details on signing up:

http://game.marketwatch.com/Competit...titionHome.asp

Competition ID (enter):
twoplustwoevent001

Password:
fishyfish

Notes:
Before you get to the competition pages, you need to sign up on MarketWatch. When get past that and you sign up for the event, you will asked to enter your actual name and a screen name. This event is set up so your actual name will never display. For the screen name, be sure to use your 2+2 screen name so your posts here and your portfolio results match "by screen name", for anyone that wants to look you up.

Trading commences July 05 2005 and ends September 30 2005.

After September 30 2005, there can only be one winner.

The winner gets to say without bragging that (s)he's the best stock trader on 2+2.

I am cross-posting this on the Psych forum, where I post alot. Anyone else that frequents other forums with some regularity (Theory would be great) are invited to cross-post a link to this thread so it gets around. Maybe we can get 100 or 200 involved here.

Link them to this post since it has all the info in one place needed for background info, and login/participation.

Good luck to all.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:46 AM

Regarding correlation, note I said "poker and trading", by this meaning the mechanical, system-type trading approach, not "poker and investing" per se.

I have not seen a single study on this poker:trading correlation, so my assertion is pure theory and in fact "science fiction" at this time. I do believe my assertion to be correct.

Once place where poker, trading and investing intersect heavily is Behavioral Finance

Take a look at the "Self Attribution Bias", which for most people is applied to every win and every loss they experience:

The Self-Attribution Bias
Old 06-29-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding correlation, note I said "poker and trading", by this meaning the mechanical, system-type trading approach, not "poker and investing" per se.

I have not seen a single study on this poker:trading correlation, so my assertion is pure theory and in fact "science fiction" at this time. I do believe my assertion to be correct.

Once place where poker, trading and investing intersect heavily is Behavioral Finance

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your hypothesis. I'm just nitpicking.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know whether Warren Buffet is a good poker player?

[/ QUOTE ]

He and Bill Gates are said to be excellent Bridge Players. Gates plays 3/6 limit poker.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know whether Warren Buffet is a good poker player?

[/ QUOTE ]

He and Bill Gates are said to be excellent Bridge Players. Gates plays 3/6 limit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all the proof I need. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 03:14 PM

Hi Dan,
This could be a fun deal. Virtual trading equals playing poker with play money. However, if someone wanted to improve their money poker game then market trading with real money works better because now all the issues of fear, greed, tilt all come into play. I've never been a great fan of paper trading because the emotions don't factor in. fwiw
Old 06-29-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Dan,
This could be a fun deal. Virtual trading equals playing poker with play money. However, if someone wanted to improve their money poker game then market trading with real money works better because now all the issues of fear, greed, tilt all come into play. I've never been a great fan of paper trading because the emotions don't factor in. fwiw

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree to an extent. However, you can reload quickly and easily in play money poker. In this competition, you would not be able to reload your account. So you will have a capital preservation incentive that does not exist in play money poker. This discourages wild risk taking (maniac play), to some extent.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:20 PM

Trader tilt is very real. And a huge issue to understand and manage. Under real conditions a typical new student would play ONLY long stock with no margin because of all the factors you list.

If you cannot win at [long stock/no margin] you are just adding variables and kidding yourself if you add anything (for example, short stock) as an additional, allowable type of trade in your method.

Yes, trading play money is not the same--- not nearly. The situation and effect is analogous to playing play money on Party vs. cash on Party.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The TwoPlusTwo Stock Trading Competition

Competition ID (enter):
twoplustwoevent001

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair warning here, some posters in stud forum ran a little private tourney and put 2+2 in the name so everyone would know it was the right one, and the kind gentlemen at 2+2 were nice enough to report him to the site for using thier name w/o permission.

Maybe consider changing the name of it so it doesn't get shutdown for using the 2+2 name in the identifier. I mean god forbid we wouldn't wnat to infringe on their name.

Just a heads-up.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:18 PM

I'll check with Mason on this and get the final word.