Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: I want to try something I haven\'t seen yet (network question)

[ QUOTE ]
If you only have 1 monitor, then get a switch box. You can get switch's that connect your keyboard, mouse and monitor to two different computers, and then you just press a button on the switch to go back and forth between the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Retail outlets will call this a KVM switch. Any Best Buy or Walmart should have them.

-Ryan
Old 06-24-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But windows was designed as a single-user, non-networked OS

[/ QUOTE ]

Without getting off topic here I just want to say that this is flat wrong. Save the windows bashing for somewhere else. Fact is, majority of people are more familiar with how to network windows clients then they are any Unix platform.

-Ryan
Old 06-24-2005, 08:10 PM

Hi,

as others have suggested, the VLC Media player should serve all your video needs. It is very good. Another option, the K Lite Codec Pack should add support for almost any file format with media player.

Regarding the twin comp pokertracker set up, you sound like you have got there already:
[ QUOTE ]
The GT+ comment gave me an idea, and I'm wondering if this is what you meant: Leave PT where it is (old box), share the stored HH files (new box), point to them in the locate files dialog in PT, install & run GT+ on the new box, pointing to the shared DB on the old box. Yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This should work fine, you can set the old box to update at 1 minute intervals without slowing down your new poker playing computer (I guess this is why you want such a setup - performance). Just set the auto-import path to a network folder, something like "\\new-box\program files\partypoker\hand history\natedog" or wherever the new HHs are getting saved to.

GameTime+ looks a bit of a problem though. There is nowhere to set the path to pokertracker databases in it's preferences, so It will not be easy to run GT+ on a remote database - It seems to use the windows registry to locate available pokertracker databases. With some trickery it should be possible, but my guess is lot/bit of trial & error to run GT+ over a network.

Playerview and the new PlayerStats 2+2 thread seem to be able to this easily, since they both allow you to specify the locations of you PT databases.

GT+ is my favourite, but i do have playerview aswell. Maybe GT+ asks you for the database locations during installation - if it does, i dont remember this bit. If anyone else knows if GT+ can be done with a remote DB, please chime in.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna have to swap out the dual monitor card in the old box, and once I do, I don't plan on having a monitor connected to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I you do this, you would likely need some method to start/stop pokertracker, and view your stats etc. For this i would recommend TightVNC, a remote desktop program. You basically get the old comp's desktop in a window on your new comp, and can use the old comp as if you were in front of it. Windows has some form of remote desktop utility, but I don't know how good this works, or if you even have it. (I don't think you get it with WinXP Home).

Good luck,

Dave.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do this, you would likely need some method to start/stop pokertracker, and view your stats etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check this thread in the software forum: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...o=&fpart=1

I haven't used it, but is sounds like it may be suited to this type of use. Not sure if it would work since you won't have a monitor on the second system. In that case, you may be able to use it along with AutoHotKey to set up hotkeys for the second box to open your programs. Use a monitor on it to get everything set up and then you may be able to control that computer fully (for your limited purposes) without a display on it.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But windows was designed as a single-user, non-networked OS

[/ QUOTE ]

Without getting off topic here I just want to say that this is flat wrong. Save the windows bashing for somewhere else. Fact is, majority of people are more familiar with how to network windows clients then they are any Unix platform.

-Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

rant:

bzzzzt. you miss. I (and anyone else) will windows bash anytime we damn well please. It's a bad OS teamed with a horrible philosiphy and exemplary marketing. He commented on it's DESIGN, not it's implementation. It was designed as a single user, non networked operating system. No amount of punditry will change that. Ever. Even for NT. If XP is ground-up why do we still have the kludges?

endrant

As far as what the OP wants to do, I believe he wants PT to "live" on the old machine (and maybe it'll datamine with some gnome accounts) and then he can access the info on his new machine. His new machine will run his GT++ or PV and get it's information from the PT machine. The PT machine will get hand histories from the current playing session on the "new" machine.

AFAIK, PT is completely capable of doing this all on it's own, it's one of the reasons he will give you two different license codes. I haven't had the need for it so I've never looked into it but it should be there. Hit the manual, hit the forums, I'm pretty sure you can just do this.

And yeah, just use VNC for when you have to sit at the "new" machine and control the "old" machine.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:57 AM

The reason PT can't find your DB is because it uses system DSNs to locate the DBs. On the computer where PT is installed, take a look in 'Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Data Sources (ODBC)'. You'll see a couple entries starting with 'PTR'. Those need to be created on the other comp as well, pointing to the shared PT folder on the host.

Good luck.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:58 AM

Oh, and with the DSN entries created properly, I see no reason as to why GT+ would not work.