Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 06-24-2005, 03:53 AM

Default I want to try something I haven\'t seen yet (network question)

So I got a new computer (HP media center) that's got a ton of processing power; Pentium 4, 1 gig RAM, 160 gig 7200 RPM HD, but I don't want to give up the old box. My question is this -

Can I use the old box to host PT? Sounds simple enough right? I have networked the 2 comps, but need directions on how to 'run' PT on the new box while it's hosted on the old box. I guess it's like a server set-up. I tried simply sharing the entire PT folder and opening from the new box, but it gave me a 'can't find DB' error.

I'm also assuming that I would have to share the HH files and point to them so PT could find them across the network.

Is it possible to host programs on one box, and run them from the other (Outlook, PT, etc.)

The new comp's video card does not have a DVI out. Standard monitor jack, and S vid. I'm gonna have to swap out the dual monitor card in the old box, and once I do, I don't plan on having a monitor connected to it. (Unless I go 'TILT' style and run 2 boxes, 2 monitors, and 2 mice!)

Also I need a dvd codec, but that's another story.

If you can give me some advice, or point me to a site I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Nate
Old 06-24-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: I want to try something I haven\'t seen yet (network question)

Nice piece of kit. Have you got as far as being able to open the PT folder on one machine as a mapped drive on the other?
Old 06-24-2005, 08:01 AM

Honestly, I'd hit the PokerTracker forums. Someone over there has likely done this before. I think your main hurdle is going to be that the PT software isn't an application as much as it is an interface to the data base itself.

I think this will end up being a software problem that you may, or may not, be able to overcome.

DVD codecs...what are you looking for? Nemo codec used to be the all in 1 codec, now I have no idea.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:05 AM

If I understand what your trying to do correctly...

If you have PokerTracker on your old computer, then the new computer cannot "run" pokertracker. What you need to do is run pokertracker from your old computer, share your handhistory folders on your new computer and point pokertracker to the share.

PlayerView or whatever program you use will then need to be re-pointed to the share on your old computer where the database is.

I'm still not even sure if this will work, but this is how it would have to be setup.

"Is it possible to host programs on one box, and run them from the other (Outlook, PT, etc.)"

No.

"The new comp's video card does not have a DVI out. Standard monitor jack, and S vid. I'm gonna have to swap out the dual monitor card in the old box, and once I do, I don't plan on having a monitor connected to it. (Unless I go 'TILT' style and run 2 boxes, 2 monitors, and 2 mice!)"

This won't work. The computer will eventually crash, or give some error, or something that will require your intervention. How are you going to fix this if you can't see it?

If you only have 1 monitor, then get a switch box. You can get switch's that connect your keyboard, mouse and monitor to two different computers, and then you just press a button on the switch to go back and forth between the two.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your main hurdle is going to be that the PT software isn't an application as much as it is an interface to the data base itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

RPMick has it right. There is a version of PT in beta test now using the postgres database as a backend store. Assuming that you could configure the PT client to use the database on the other machine, this would be the way to go.

Keep that old machine handy, NateDog. Wait for the postgres version and the conversion routines to migrate the hand db, and you'll get what you want.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:14 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

DVD codec - errr, we won't get to deep into the whole 'system recovery disks misplaced' thing. Let's just say WMP10 doesn't come with a dvd codec.

As for the video/card monitor question, I have 2 monitors, but the new comp's card only has outputs for one. I am going to put in the dual monitor card from the old box, to support 2 monitors. I don't plan on having a monitor on the old computer (if this is at all possible).

The GT+ comment gave me an idea, and I'm wondering if this is what you meant: Leave PT where it is (old box), share the stored HH files (new box), point to them in the locate files dialog in PT, install & run GT+ on the new box, pointing to the shared DB on the old box. Yes?
Old 06-24-2005, 01:30 PM

I use a 3 machine setup and i use PT for all 3 machines. All i do is map the harddrives for each machine and when i want to update from a different computer i just point PT to the relating folder.

Put simply i host on one machine and just tell it to look at a different folder when i want it updated from the other machines.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use a 3 machine setup and i use PT for all 3 machines. All i do is map the harddrives for each machine and when i want to update from a different computer i just point PT to the relating folder.

Put simply i host on one machine and just tell it to look at a different folder when i want it updated from the other machines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you using a GT+ plugin on the comp you are playing on, or do you not use a heads-up display?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I use the old box to host PT? Sounds simple enough right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure - with UNIX or linux it's second-nature. The old processor runs pt, you network mount the new machine's drive on the old machine if that's where you want the data and display/interact with pt on the new machine. You could also run gt+ on the old machine but display it in the same say on the new machine. This would almost entrely unburden your new machine's CPU.

But windows was designed as a single-user, non-networked OS and knowing that UNIX/linux can do this doesn't help you. However, there are windows products that copy UNIX's X client-server technology to give you what I described above. The only one I can think of is "Exceed" (I think the company name is/was Hummingbird). I have no idea if they're still in business but know there are others...

Mike
Old 06-24-2005, 02:20 PM

DVD Problem - Download VLC Media Player.

SOLVED.

LDT