Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Caution the ATM\'s?

When you're playing at a NL table online and you see an awful player just rebuy for the full buy-in for the 4th or 5th time do you ever give a little warning? I love winning money but I don't want the money of some gambling addict who can't feed his kids the next day or afford to go to college or something like that. I'm not looking to bankrupt anyone in a session, just take their hobby money in strides.

Usually when they are on their 4th buy-in I'll make a little remark like "Hey, you know this is a real money table right? The fake chips with unlimited buy-ins are down the hall." Ok so I like to antagonize people. But if they load again I'll get serious and say "Dude, seriously, you need to stop before you hate yourself."

Good idea or no? Sure they probably won't listen. And if they are not spewing their money to me they will give it away to someone else. If they continue to rebuy I'll still sit there and take it. But I still feel like I'm obligated to at least say something, right? Anyone else?
Old 11-24-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Caution the ATM\'s?

Absolutly not. It's none of your business what people do with their money. I'd be pissed off as hell if someone made those kind of remarks to me.

Many poker players are recreational gamblers, and play poker the same way the play craps or blackjack, knowing they might lose, or they might get "lucky" and win. For all you know, the guy might be very wealthy and blowing off a few thousand at the poker table is just a way to have fun for him.

I can't beleive anyone would be such a presumtious (sp?) [censored] and tell people that they should "stop before they hate themselves"
Old 11-24-2005, 04:05 PM

I could care less if people lose money they can't afford to at my table. Not my problem and I'll happily take my share of it. They wouldn't be sorry if they got lucky and beat the hell out of you - that's their goal. So screw them.

Jeff
Old 11-24-2005, 04:05 PM

It's pretty damn rude to tell someone else how to spend their money. For all you know the guys rich as hell and is just playing for fun.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:10 PM

All you have to do is think of it in terms of profit for yourself. Think of all the money you will be making.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:11 PM

you don't have any concern for them, you are a dick with an ego.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:20 PM

I don't care if some degenerate addict with a wife and kids just ended up spending his kids' tuition so that I can do another line of coke off another hooker's ass. Life aint easy and they can all die if they can't deal with it.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:40 PM

Meh, I feel bad, but it's not going to prevent me from exploiting them.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:42 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

You're probably playing with more players like that than you think.

Unless this is a buddy and I know their situation personally, I could care less. I'm not obligated to say anything. Nor will I.

I play with addicts and degenerates all the time. If you're going to play this game seriously and for profit for any real length of time, get used to it.

btw...They won't care less about you when they are hitting hands and running amazing and you're rebuying for the 4th or 7th time.

Are you just finding out now that gambling is a brutal business?

b
Old 11-24-2005, 04:49 PM

NUNCA