Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Home Series of Poker

A few of us here in saint louis have a small home game that we play in about once a week. Nothing special about it, 20 dollar thursday night tourneys usually about 8-12 people, lots of beer etc... We have about 20 people who will play, just not every week. I came up w/ the idea of a mini world series deal. It is catching on and I just wanna know if anyone has done this at their home game, so I can avoid unforseen problems e.g. time constraints, bad tournament structure and so on.

I am planning this for right after christmas, (high school donkeys w/ christmas cash!) And we are planning 6 events.

1.)20 buy in 7card stud
2.)20 buy in PL Omaha
3.)20 buy in limit holdem
4.)20 buy in PL haoldem
5.)30 buy in NL holdem
6.)50 buy in NL holdem main event

We never play anything other than NL holdem (w/ the exception of a couple omaha tourneys over the past year.) I know the stud and omaha events will be small so i put them first. We have 4 decks of kems at the house that we play at so we will run them 2 decks per table to increase the #of hands per hour. Does this sound like a good idea?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Old 11-10-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Home Series of Poker

A guy I know did something similar over the summer that seemed to work out well.

His site is here:

http://grandrapidspoker.com/

All of the details are there... he's a nice guy as well if you emailed him I am sure he'd be happy to give you suggestions.

PG
Old 11-11-2005, 01:43 AM

The pot-limit games are going to be very difficult to manage if the game is self-dealt.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:48 PM

I ran a Friday night, Saturday all-day World Series of Poker a couple months ago. We had about 15 people for each of the 4 events.

If you're mostly NL hold'em players, then getting people to play Stud and Omaha is a challenge. There are new rules to learn, and if you play Pot Limit, the dealer's going to be doing a lot of math, and less drinking and having fun.

We had four games. Friday night was a NLHE w/re-buys & add-on event. Saturday noon was Crazy Pineapple (which is enough like Holdem that people had no problem grasping it. Then a heads-up NLHE shootout, and finally the big NLHE game). The re-buy event was a great way for us to kick things off. All the action really got people excited for the rest of the weekend.

If you're committed to doing the 6 games, I would organize them like this.

1.)20 buy in PL holdem
2.)20 buy in 7card stud
3.)20 buy in limit holdem
4.)30 buy in NL holdem
5.)20 buy in PL Omaha
6.)50 buy in NL holdem main event

Blind structures are going to be essential. Knowing when a tournament will end, and giving enough time for people to run for food, order pizza is essential. I scalped the blind structures from the World Series of Poker website. Shorten the blind level times to whatever is necessary and you'll be flying.

I also found that paying out 4-5 people per event made it more appealing. More people went home having won something, and felt better about the fact they'd lost money during the week.

Good luck