Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Revenge of the fish

Quick sanity check. I thought that I had just enough chips to make this play (and of course, I needed the chips). Nothing special about SB to speak of in the way of reads.

This guy used his entire time bank before calling here... with A9s. He got lucky and I didn't suck out. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Everyone make this play?

Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: dapnecov ( $1170 )
Seat 2: z28cam87 ( $1980 )
Seat 3: karigu ( $2456 )
Seat 5: scooter10111 ( $1080 )
Seat 7: HERO ( $735 )
Seat 9: Drsand ( $579 )

Blinds(75/150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ 7c Jd ]
Drsand folds.
dapnecov folds.
z28cam87 folds.
karigu folds.
scooter10111 calls [75].
HERO is all-In [585]
scooter10111 calls [585].
Old 08-24-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Revenge of the fish

I dont see anything wrong with this. You had enough chips for sure...he is left virtually crippled if he loses which is the bottom line if you put yourself in villain's shoes.

he is getting what? 1.6-1? He called the BB? 6 left and you're the shortie? He still has hope, and unless he's trapping its an easy push...

FWIW...I hate villain's line unless he thought he was trapping with A9 which apparently wasnt the case since he went in the tank.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW...I hate villain's line unless he thought he was trapping with A9 which apparently wasnt the case since he went in the tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the title of my post! Dude wasn't trapping (not that I would trap there either, I'd insta-push if I were him). And he wasn't multi-tabling - this was the first time that he had used his timebank. He called with literally 1 second left. Oh well...
Old 08-24-2005, 02:46 PM

if he's the kind of guy who will open complete the small blind, he's playing passively. with a hand like that, i say just check and bet the flop when he checks to you.

people like to convince themselves to call pushes preflop, but on the flop is a different story.
nothing really wrong with your play either, mostly just bad timing.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:50 PM

I do this all the time. What you are doing by pushing is taking away his FE on the flop. Too bad he woke up with a hand this time.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He called with literally 1 second left. Oh well...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate when this happens, because I *know* from experience 9 times out of 10 the super long time bank thinkfest is gonna end in a fold, especially on the button. Standard push though for me.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the title of my post! Dude wasn't trapping (not that I would trap there either, I'd insta-push if I were him). And he wasn't multi-tabling - this was the first time that he had used his timebank. He called with literally 1 second left. Oh well...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...i see why people around here complain sometimes about not being to play against bad players. This is really bad on his part but it doesnt take away from the fact that you still have to push here close to always, barring a read...i.e. a maniac-100% PF raiser who decides to call...even then lol
Old 08-24-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah...i see why people around here complain sometimes about not being to play against bad players. This is really bad on his part but it doesnt take away from the fact that you still have to push here close to always, barring a read...i.e. a maniac-100% PF raiser who decides to call...even then lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that you were not implying this but I want to make it clear anyway: I am certainly not one of those people! I love playing against bad players... The occassional hand such as this one is more than compensated for by the many where I benefit from their stupidity. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He called with literally 1 second left. Oh well...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate when this happens, because I *know* from experience 9 times out of 10 the super long time bank thinkfest is gonna end in a fold, especially on the button. Standard push though for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

really, in my experience it is more likely villain will call (reluctantly) when he goes into the tank.. i think its at least 50/50