Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 12:16 PM

Default 3-6NL UB River Play

We just started playing hu 5 hands ago. We both have a 600 dollar stack

Hero is dealt q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]j [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero raises to 21
Villan Calls

Flop(42)5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]k [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villan checks
Hero checks

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
villan checks
Hero bets 30
Villan calls

River a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villan leads for 150
Hero?

What is my play? What percentage of the time is my hand good? Is there any way I should raise the river?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: 3-6NL UB River Play

What position were you and villain in?

Why no continuation bet on the flop?

Why such a small bet on the turn?

The only plausible hands that beat you are KK, 66 and 65. KK seems unlikely given no pf raise from villain.

He may well have a flush but if so, you beat it. He may also be "bluffing" at the "scare card" on the river.

Your hand is going to be good a lot of the time.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:01 PM

Well you're at least calling. Whether or not you can raise is opponent dependent. I've never played on UB, but on Party I'm pushing and I'm very happy about him calling.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:29 PM

I would look him up here 100% of the time. I think your hand is good here more often than not. Villian could be representing the boat, flush. I hate your line. You have to follow your PF raise with a continuation bet. I would add more. But the other poster hit on all the issues.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:53 PM

AA is another hand to add to the list that can beat me. i ended up pushing him all in on the river. Discuss how bad this is? I firgued he was slowplaying a 5 or had a weaker flush. also if he played ak werid then i would also have him in bad shape. Is a push on the river really that bad? is there any reason that a push is a +EV play?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What position were you and villain in?

Why no continuation bet on the flop?

Why such a small bet on the turn?

The only plausible hands that beat you are KK, 66 and 65. KK seems unlikely given no pf raise from villain.

He may well have a flush but if so, you beat it. He may also be "bluffing" at the "scare card" on the river.

Your hand is going to be good a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the check on the flop is good since any aggressive opponent w/ a pocket pair or nothing will check-raise or check-call flop and lead turn. hero should've bet more on the turn since u hit his hand. river, just call. only better hands are calling. pushing is definitely -EV.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:41 PM

Meh, I like betting flop and unless he is argo hes gonna fold barring a K or a 5. At least the passive HU players on prima would. I push river. (u have NUT flush right?)
Old 11-21-2005, 02:45 PM

Yes i have the nut flush, but not the NUtz! any boat beats me.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well you're at least calling. Whether or not you can raise is opponent dependent. I've never played on UB, but on Party I'm pushing and I'm very happy about him calling.

[/ QUOTE ]
IME this is an easier raise on UB than party.
notice that this guy just bet 150 into 100, so that actually makes this a semi-tough decision.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:36 AM

If you had taken a better line this would've been an easier hand to play. Bet flop. If villain calls/raises you can narrow his hand range down. You have position so you can check behind the turn when you don't hit (after he calls or raises) if he checks it to you.

As you played the hand I would just call his river overbet. He could easily have KK, A5s, 65s, 66 here and wants value for his hand after the river scarecard hit. I think the overbet was made to represent the flush, thinking you'll call with more hands than you'd bet (AK or other big aces. Your hand is probably goood here a lot of the time, but I don't think thats the point. A push probably folds out almost all hands you beat (AK, open trips, etc.) except for a lower flush unless he thinks you're FOS. Think about it from his perspective. If he doesn't have a fullhouse or a flush here he's going to give you credit for a better hand and fold that river when you push with any other piece of the board.