Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Defense against LAGgy rush?

This past week I have been pounded, I mean POUNDED into the ground by the table maniacs. These are the players that seem to push with everything and hit with everything. You know who I'm talking about.

Now my problem has been a combination of bad beats, second best hands, missing flops, cards of ice, and somehow always running into AA when I call with AK after he pushed for the seventh straight hand.

I'm frustrated to say the least. I've told myself time and time again just wait around for a hand, let the guy run over the table, then get all you're chips in and double up. It just hasn't happened yet. I'm going backwards. I understand the probability principle that every hand is an isolated event. Not seeing it, but I understand it.

Now to my question (forgive the rant but I needed to steam), what is the best defense here? What do you personally do when you just can't seem to crack the table maniac? Keep trying? Cool it for a bit? Move tables?
Old 11-13-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Defense against LAGgy rush?

if your problem is like mine, when you lose a 2-1 all-in preflop against these guys, you start playing worse by not realizing that they slow down at times w/o hands for instance. This is bad. I dropped 4 buy-ins in an hour between 2 tables with maniacs. two were 2-1 favorites, the other two can be attributed at least partially to playing worse because of those first 2 losses. regroup and FOCUS. Although you can get an AI coinflip, you might sometimes want to consider reraising and seeing a flop when you know a maniac will slowdown with no pair and no draw to collect dead money for instance.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:08 AM

review your play - if you played OK and just got unlucky then do not worry - it is a game of variance - upswings and downsings - when I moved up from 25 to 50 NL I hit a run of bad luck and lost 19 Buy-ins in a week and half.......
in that time I got my money in when I had at least a 5% advantage 85% of the time!!!
I had every sort of bad beat possible... A high flush beat by str8 flush por runner runner boats - boats beat by quads...
at one stage I there was a run where i hit a str8 and then got flushed 7 times straight...
and so on....
if you playing good - it means it is juts 'variance' play good and it will swing the other way ....
(I had 10 winning sessions in a row on PP after that bad run.....)
Old 11-14-2005, 12:42 AM

it highly depends on range villain is willing to commit with at each street.

but seriously, if you are having problems, its ok to switch tables.

some styles just don't work well against lags and sometimes the most +ev decision is switching tables.