Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Has HOH2 hurt anyone else?

[ QUOTE ]
An interesting fact is that in this years WSOP the pros did much better than in the last years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I put this down to the pros having to adapt their games, and because they are pros, I also assume they are better at it than just about everyone else. Dr. Schoonmaker had a good article earlier in Oct. discussing the evolution of a poker player. Good read.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:14 PM

I've read and re-read HOH1/2 maybe 10 times. There should be a very big disclaimer on each page: "Most people you play against are donkeys and will call your semi-bluffs, one pair pushes, etc." It's a domkey minefield out there where your continuation bets/SB pushes, etc., get litte respect. Just be careful because the chances of a donkey getting you are reasonable: yeah you can make the "right" play 10 times and escape the donkeys but on the 11th time one of them will get you. If you watch the WSOP you'll see what I mean.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:15 PM

I read Harrington on Hold Em this summer and I immediately began to lose after applying the concepts. However, I don't blame HOH one bit. What happened was this. I had played using a very tight-aggressive strategy up until that point and had done well. After reading HOH, I had more knowledge at my disposal on reading the flop, making continuation bets, semi-bluffs, etc. Yet I was playing against players who were far better than me on playing after the flop. I couldn't believe I was losing so much and so I went back and read Miller's Getting Started in Hold Em. I went back to basically playing a beginner strategy - raising with good hands and getting out when I didn't hit the flop. I realized that despite early good results (I've been playing seriously for about a year), I was still a beginner and that I needed to develop my post-flop skills much more. I was getting creamed by trying to use Harrington's concepts against better players. I think the important lesson for me was this: stay with a winning strategy, however basic, until you have really mastered the other concepts - and don't try to master those concepts by practicing against players who are better than you. On the other hand, I've given myself the liberty of practicing HOH concepts in very small stakes home games against weak players and it has worked well for me. That's my two cents.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:37 PM

good post.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:06 AM

I bought it, but I don't play tournaments! So I'm safe! Ha ha!

Suckers.