Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 03:27 PM

Default River bet with AA?

PokerStars (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 10.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises 60</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls 60, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises 140 to 200</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets 300</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> 300, UTG calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero ?

Final Pot:

The turn bet was to try and induce a bluff, I was not expecting a call.No read on villan, first hand he had played.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: River bet with AA?

cheeck behind, you're not going to get an 8 or a J to fold and i can't see any hand you beat, beside maybe KK/QQ to call you.

maybe an 8 folds if you push, but thats not even a guarantee.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:07 PM

Since this is early, I'm guessing you each have about 700ish left? If so, check behind unless you can call an all-in. The pots nice when its yours or you have something left if he was fishing for a river c/r with his jack.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cheeck behind, you're not going to get an 8 or a J to fold and i can't see any hand you beat, beside maybe KK/QQ to call you.

maybe an 8 folds if you push, but thats not even a guarantee.

[/ QUOTE ]

People love to call Ace high here... and I doubt villian folds an 8.

Still I check.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:02 PM

I'd check behind. Seems like you will get called by exactly the hands you beat.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:11 PM

can't see many hands where villain would raise UTG and then call a raise having an 8.. also can't see it with a J, but I check behind as well, the pot is already good enough to win and only hand that will call a river bet is a J or 8 (maybe QQ or KK too).
Old 10-21-2005, 05:12 PM

just to add, if I had to guess it looks like you are both scared of the J's on board, and that villain has QQ.. of course I could be totally off [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 05:27 PM

Hands that you beat and might call if you value bet: MAYBE TT-99, QQ-KK, sometimes A-high like AhKh especially. But a good player mucks almost all the hands you beat, including these, only a real bozo is calling with anything worse than your hand (though a good player might BET this river with a hand worse than yours knowing you probably hold an overpair). And depending on the buy-in level players are generally very prepared to go broke with an underfull so I wouldn't try pushing anyone off an 8 too often unless I had a read that the player was solid. I check behind here basically always.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:04 PM

Yeah, I'm humbled by the top card pairing after the CC on the flop. I'd check the turn just to see what he does on the river. Stack sizes going in mean a lot, and they limit the options. Villain really can't fold an 8, and might very well check to the guy who bet into him when the board paired.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:10 PM

i feel this guy has like an 82 83 84 85 or qq and is scared of jack just check