Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: concentration

Lay off the dope.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:26 AM

Seriously is there any sort of truth to the masturbation thing ? My girlfriend just left for a month, and so far I see no correlation.

I find that I have to take breaks about every 45 minutes when 2+ tabling, even if it is just to go to the bathroom (not to do that). Otherwise I can be prone to ugly tilt.

Bruiser is flow worth reading ? I have also heard good things about the book blink (sub title is the power of thinking without thinking), but have yet to read it, anyone read this one either ?
Old 09-18-2005, 06:42 AM

This non-mastrubation thing works.

After 7 days of not having ejaculation (meaning you can mastrubate, but without ejaculation) you testosterone level will increase significantly. Around 40%.

Testosterone is important for virtually everything. Mood, will power, generel enjoyment, confidence etc etc. Concentration can both be altered in positive and negative direction. If you have the will-power then it will be positive. The risk, powerwise, is that tilting is easier, when you are full of vigor...

This is not some old Buddist theory or new-age crap. Check out www.pubmed.com. There are 2 examinations proving this. Let me know if you canīt find them.

But remember... You have to go 7 days before testosterone level is altered.

oh well:

------------
World J Urol 2001 Nov;19(5):377-82

Endocrine response to masturbation-induced orgasm in healthy men following a 3-week sexual abstinence.

Exton MS, Kruger TH, Bursch N, Haake P, Knapp W, Schedlowski M, Hartmann U.

Institut fur Medizinische Psychologie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Germany. michael.exton@uni-essen.de

This current study examined the effect of a 3-week period of sexual abstinence on the neuroendocrine response to masturbation-induced orgasm. Hormonal and cardiovascular parameters were examined in ten healthy adult men during sexual arousal and masturbation-induced orgasm. Blood was drawn continuously and cardiovascular parameters were constantly monitored. This procedure was conducted for each participant twice, both before and after a 3-week period of sexual abstinence. Plasma was subsequently analysed for concentrations of adrenaline, noradrenaline, cortisol, prolactin, luteinizing hormone and testosterone concentrations. Orgasm increased blood pressure, heart rate, plasma catecholamines and prolactin. These effects were observed both before and after sexual abstinence. In contrast, although plasma testosterone was unaltered by orgasm, higher testosterone concentrations were observed following the period of abstinence. These data demonstrate that acute abstinence does not change the neuroendocrine response to orgasm but does produce elevated levels of testosterone in males.
--------------

Jiang M. Periodic changes in serum testosterone levels after ejaculation in men. Sheng Li Xue Bao 2002 Dec 25;54(6):535-8

The purpose of this study was to determine the changes in sex hormone level in men after ejaculation. The serum testosterone concentrations of 28 male volunteers were investigated daily during abstinence period after ejaculation. We found that fluctuations of testosterone levels from day 2 to day 5 of abstinence were minimal. On day 7 of abstinence, a peak of serum testosterone appeared, reaching 145.7% of the baseline (P<0.01). After the peak, no regular fluctuation was observed. Ejaculation was the premise and beginning of the 7 days' periodic phenomenon. If there was no ejaculation, there was no periodical changes in serum testosterone level. These results indicate that the periodic change in serum testosterone level is caused by ejaculation.

------------------------

Old 09-18-2005, 06:45 AM

Ginko Biloba
Old 09-18-2005, 11:09 AM

Meditation has been shown to reduce stress and improve concentration. Pretty well documented I believe.

If you're interested in trying it there are a number of different kinds you could look into. You can reap benefits from it with just 15 or 20 minutes a day.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:05 PM

I looked through some articles by searching on google and found mixed results. It appears that a couple articles say masturbation increases testosterone (in fact that all sexual activity does) a couple said it had no effect and the one you quoted said that it increases after seven days.

No idea. Hopefully this doesn't actually have much effect on concentration.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I looked through some articles by searching on google and found mixed results. It appears that a couple articles say masturbation increases testosterone (in fact that all sexual activity does) a couple said it had no effect and the one you quoted said that it increases after seven days.

No idea. Hopefully this doesn't actually have much effect on concentration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I shot my eye out
Old 09-20-2005, 12:51 PM

this is a bogus site man