Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2003, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Finally we agree on something

No one who was there? I know lots of people who were there who said it was unwinnable. But it really doesn't matter what people say, it matters what was.

Of course we could have levelled it into a parking lot, as General LeMay suggested. But I wouldn't call that a "win."
Old 04-01-2003, 09:22 PM

I don't think theyh were madmen, but I do think they turned into homicidal maniacs. They had no idea what they were fighting or how to fight it. All they knew was we could bomb the hell out of them and that we couldn't possibly lose to those little yellow men in pajamas. It was a combination of arrogance, ignorance, stupidity, and hubris.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:25 AM

Define what you think would have been "winning" for the US vis a vis the Vietnam conflict.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:15 AM

A 51st state? Trophy wives for all the servicemen? Vietnamese food would now be pizza and beer? Turning it into a resort area like Thailand? Better dope? Cheaper rice? The opposite of losing? A mushroom cloud? Dry socks? The return of all POW's and remains? Being welcomed home? Democratic elections? A surrender by the North? Fifty-Thousand less American deaths? More Vietnamese deaths?

Some of that, not all, perhaps more or less. Difficult question IrishHand but a thought provoking one at that. Hell ask the Generals and politicians, I'm pretty sure they could have figured out what constituted winning. After all they figured out we lost.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:05 AM

So basically - you firmly believe we could have "won" the Vietnam conflict, but you admit you don't know (or at least haven't seriously considered) what "wiining" would have entailed.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:35 AM

Basically, you are putting words in my mouth as usual IrishHand. Please read my response and interpret it as you wish. Oops, you already have, no surprise there.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:42 PM

"ask the Generals and politicians, I'm pretty sure they could have figured out what constituted winning."

They would have said winning was the defeat of the Communists and and independent, free, democratic South Vietnam. Could never have happened.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:10 PM

Default Dominion

"[Generals and politicians] would have said winning was the defeat of the Communists and and independent, free, democratic South Vietnam. Could never have happened."

Not only it could have happened, it was right on the verge of happening the moment the French left Indochina.

A "free and independent" (not to mention "democratic") Vietnam was not in the United States' interest. Simple as that.

Old 04-02-2003, 03:14 PM

Thanks Andy, if I had known you were a General I would have simply referred IrishHand to you. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]