Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: How bad were you crushing the 11\'s when you moved up to the 22s?

If you feel bad about a beat in the 22s maybe your bankroll isn't large enough. If you had $2-4k would you still feel the same?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I've done this before when I tried using a 'rolling bankroll' that I read about from I think Slim Pickens. Basically you divide your bankroll by 30 and then get the exact combination of buy-ins going so that you have 30 buy-ins for that set.

So if you have $415, you might fire up 3 11s and 1 22. I found that I wasn't a huge fan of this for some reason, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless and some may like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first heard this idea I thought it was fantastic (it wasn't mine, but I forget whose it was), but after trying it, I found I necessarily paid less attention to the lower buy-in tables. I have to play all four at the same buy-in in order to focus on them equally.

SlimP
Old 07-13-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because many people's utility function of entertainment would not increase linearly or exponentially with amount of money paid for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this statement. It looks like we're both making no assuptions about this function while most others are. I'm saying if there's any component of added fun in playing the higher buy-ins, to hell with bankroll. Go nuts. Yours is a complimentary argument that if it isn't any more fun to play at a higher level, why waste the extra money?

I don't like seeing people tear into another poster for a statement, that while somewhat poorly explained, is actually quite a well-crafted piece of advice coming from a poster who clearly understands the inner workings of variance.

To add something hopefully useful for the OP: I'll say what others have said. Don't worry about specific numbers for ROI or bankroll in deciding when to move up. Most of all, make sure you are psychologically comfortable playing the 22's before trying to make a permenant move. Give yourself some room to fail a little (15 buy-ins is my number) before you decide to move back down.

SlimP