Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Deliberately annoying the table as a tactic

I usually never show my cards, ever, unless I feel the opponent was playing well, and folded properly given my play and he deserves to know - and even then, I do it rarely and usually to tight tables and it's a high pair - it helps in blind stealing.

Anyway, recently I tried NoblePoker, and didn't really know what the game was like. I sat down waiting for the BB, and it was neutral preflop, extremely tight postflop for a 0.5-1 holdem game. Anyway, it gets to me, I get 72o, and raise once it comes round - but this time there were 4 in the flop, instead of the 2-3 that usually went in. The flop's low and raggy, and no help to me. I check, the bet starts to my right, goes all the way around, and I raise. They all fold...

I then do what I never do, I show.

After that, the table goes a bit nuts, but I have to sit out cos I know they'll be at me and I get no good cards for a couple of circuits.

Anyway, I kicked myself for showing - it's just drawing attention to yourself. But it did in fact light up the table for about 50 hands.

Does anyone ever do something like this, and what's your experience of it?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Deliberately annoying the table as a tactic

Im no expert, but if im playing against people who i know tilt after being bluffed, i show low high card bluffs. i never show against people i've never played against. I'll only do it if it may yield good results.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll only do it if it may yield good results.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way to be absolutely sure it will. For that reason, I do not show my cards.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I have to sit out cos I know they'll be at me and I get no good cards for a couple of circuits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you have regreted your showing the bluff had you picked up a nice rush of great starting hands afterwards?

Having fun is important it's .5/1 the table is to tight it was worth a try.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:29 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
After that, the table goes a bit nuts, but I have to sit out cos I know they'll be at me and I get no good cards for a couple of circuits.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you sat out?

Imo, you should be concentrating more on your game than on your table image at this point.

b
Old 05-19-2005, 05:55 AM

huh? What's wrong with folding without betting on a tilty table if you have awful cards?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:57 AM

Good point Stuey! I knew there must be a reason for me doing it [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 10:14 AM

Its generally not good to bluff into 4 50/1, especially when you won't have any outs if called, I know you already know this. Sure it's fun, but so is killing 50/1 for 4-5 BB per 100, enjoy it while you can, because win rates drop as you move up, and there is no doubt it feels a lot better when you are crushing your game than when you are grinding out a bet or so per 100.

Good luck.

Mack
Old 05-19-2005, 01:12 PM

If you are going to show your hand.. you MUST play the next couple of orbits (tighten up more than your normal standard) and if you hit a real hand blast away. Nobody will believe you have a hand.
HEPFAP recommends you play small suited connectors once in a while to throw your opponents off. Showing 72 is going to throw them WAY off.
It is the same just after you show down a nut hand, you can usually steal a blind with nothing.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:07 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
huh? What's wrong with folding without betting on a tilty table if you have awful cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
but I have to sit out cos I know they'll be at me and I get no good cards for a couple of circuits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sitting out usually implies that you're not being dealt in any hands but are waiting for the 'run' of bad cards to be over. I probably misinterpreted your statement.

b