Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Got my Xbox 360

OK, I promise I wont call you a sucker if you give me a little review of Kameo. Specifically, Is it more Zelda-like, or Platformer oriented?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I promise I wont call you a sucker if you give me a little review of Kameo. Specifically, Is it more Zelda-like, or Platformer oriented?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Zelda-esque, particularly in a wind-waker type way.

You play as elf/fairy type thing named Kameo and are a shape shifter trying to save your family. You can change into different element based creatures. In the first dungeon you have three of these creatures but then lose them all (its kinda like Metroid Prime in that way). All the action RPG staples, coins for trade, rare item to make your health bar bigger, mini map in the corner, exposition cut scenes, bla bla bla.

The graphics are really good and smooth, when you are not a creature you can fly around the areas pretty fast and fluidly, water effects, background animation and 'blood'' splatter are especially impressive. The camera is pretty good (this is usually my gripe with full 3d games).

I had no idea what the game was until the box was delivered this morning, but having played it a bit I think I'll play it through, it's seems pretty good. I was expecting to get either Need for Speed or Madden included but neither is out yet so they included that and a letter explaining I can expect either one of those two games in a couple of weeks (I don't get to pick among them... please be madden, please be madden!).

I've also spent like an hour playing Hexic (its one of the arcade games already on the machine), my goal is to have all the top scores on xbox live before the thing goes public :P

Side note, the 20 gig HD that came with the thing only has 12 gigs free space, but some of that space is taken by trailers and stuff that I can delete (the trailers are uninteresting and no, there isn't one for Halo 3).

Also, I put a Data DVD in there full of all episodes of poker I had downloaded (.avi files) to see if it would let me watch them on the tv, it did not, though I should be able to make that work when I get the Media Center compatibility hooked up, which I haven't done yet. I might also try copying the avi files to the xbox HD.

Finally, the thing is great as a DVD player. My old DVD player (a PS2) was way outdated, it stalled for a sec on the layer change on some dvds and the volume levels always seemed to low on some movies, both these problems seem to be fixed on the xbox.

Also, after a couple of hours of play, the batteries havent died on the controller, which I thing is a good sign.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:45 PM

Thanks for posting!

Enjoy your new toy.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was a hardcore gamer who tried for five weeks to win one and didn't get lucky, I might be annoyed, if I saw everyone who won it selling there's I would probably be doubly so.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was a hardcore gamer who tried for five weeks to win one and didn't get lucky, I might try to buy one off ebay... and only if none of the people that won one but didn't really care that much were selling them, would I be doubly annoyed.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:18 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

yeah guys, it's so irrelevant to the product...that you know exactly what it's advertising, and you're taking the time to discuss it on a message board. boy, what a marketing failure.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:21 PM

and i'm still not getting one until they decide HD DVD or BluRay. if evan decides to get his, i might go camp out with him though. standing out in front of circuit city for hrs, good times.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:23 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

you'll be waiting forever then. they have made it very clear that they're not going to support any game on hd media. if they make an hd optical drive an option, it will only be for playing movies.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:26 PM

I'll still be waiting. There aren't going to be any good game for this thing for a year anyways.

And don't say Halo 3 is coming out in April. It's not.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:07 PM

a couple of notes for those who care:

I can't set up the media center capability because the software wont be released for download until the system is released (dang).
For the same reason, I can't get one Xbox Live. So I don't have any reviews in those respects.

The ipod connectivity on this thing is really great. No need to install anything, you just plug into the firewire jack in the back and its ready to go, it even charges while connected, regardless of whether you are using it to play music or not.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:51 AM

unpacking the 360

a fun little tale