Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: anyone in management / business consulting?

[ QUOTE ]
I got the job! Thanks for everyone's "good lucks"!! Wow, being employed...that's going to feel strange. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you shed a little light on the process? And your background?

Thanks and congrats!

-ptmusic
Old 06-23-2005, 06:05 PM

Sure. I have a Ph.D. in Political Science, and my research really had nothing at all to do with business. But I met an employee at the firm that just made me the offer at a mutual friend's house, and he said that they were really looking for people with the type of quantitative and qualitative (ie., interview/survey/archival) research skills I developed in grad school. This place is more of a research firm than a consulting firm, btw.

So I kind of applied on a whim. As I wrote in my original post, I first had a phone interview with a recruiting person, then went in 3 times for in-person interviews. The interviews consisted basically of three things: detailed grilling about my dissertation (easy; my defense was fresh in my mind), behavioral (ie resume-based) questions, and business/logic case questions (harder for me since I don't have a business background; but I bought one of those wetfeet guides which was helpful). It was a month and a half between when I first contacted them and when they extended me the offer.

It's been a really long job search for me. Even though I never saw myself doing this type of work, it seems like an interesting job with a lot of smart, over-achieving type colleagues. So, what can I say, I'm very happy right now.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:44 PM

What's the "wetfeet" guide you mentioned?

I'm interested because after I get my MBA, I may apply for this type of job, and I know the cases are a tough part of the interviews.

Thanks,

ptmusic