Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: They brought back Phil Garner

Garner is a great motivator, that is why he could rally that team back from the cellar. But I have to say that I think he made alot of poor decisions in the World Series. I pretty much blame Games 1 & 2 on him.

Here are mistakes I think he made:

1) Game 1 leaving Mike Lamb in the face Cotts with 1 & 3 and one out in the 8th when he could have brought in a better contact/speed guy like say Burke or Viz to face the lefty when then you could probably make a squeeze play or let Burke hit who has good enough speed to hopefully stay out of the DP.

2.) Game 1 leaving Bagwell in to face Jinks in the 8th with 1 & 3 and 2 outs when Bagwell clearly did not have the bat speed to handle Jinks, and he had shown that all through this season. Viz or Palmerio would have been a much better matchup for us.

3.) Game 3 letting Taveras hit with 1 & 3 with the winning run on 3rd, when again a strike out kills you and Taveras is known chase poor pitches, if you leave him in you have to squeeze I think. Either Safety or Suicide. But I think again Palemerio would have been a better matchup here.

4.) Leaving Ensberg in the 4 slot when he clearly had no clue at the plate.

5.) Bascially I felt like Garner let Guillen dictate pretty much every matchup in the series.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Garner is a great motivator, that is why he could rally that team back from the cellar. But I have to say that I think he made alot of poor decisions in the World Series. I pretty much blame Games 1 & 2 on him.

Here are mistakes I think he made:

1) Game 1 leaving Mike Lamb in the face Cotts with 1 & 3 and one out in the 8th when he could have brought in a better contact/speed guy like say Burke or Viz to face the lefty when then you could probably make a squeeze play or let Burke hit who has good enough speed to hopefully stay out of the DP.

2.) Game 1 leaving Bagwell in to face Jinks in the 8th with 1 & 3 and 2 outs when Bagwell clearly did not have the bat speed to handle Jinks, and he had shown that all through this season. Viz or Palmerio would have been a much better matchup for us.

3.) Game 3 letting Taveras hit with 1 & 3 with the winning run on 3rd, when again a strike out kills you and Taveras is known chase poor pitches, if you leave him in you have to squeeze I think. Either Safety or Suicide. But I think again Palemerio would have been a better matchup here.

4.) Leaving Ensberg in the 4 slot when he clearly had no clue at the plate.

5.) Bascially I felt like Garner let Guillen dictate pretty much every matchup in the series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Collin, come on bro. This is all fluff. What's your verdict?

yay or nay on Gar' through '07? Take a stance.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:18 PM

I think what houston really needs is a manager who can make sure the team plays the game the right way in a Tournament Style format.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:24 PM

That would be a Nay from me if their is anyone else out there that would be able to do a sufficent job. Not sure what the market is like.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That would be a Nay from me if their is anyone else out there that would be able to do a sufficent job. Not sure what the market is like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I'm shocked. Who else is out there that you'd rather have?

Again, no other team in all of MLB had a better back-to-back postseason run than the Astros.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:09 PM

I would rather have a manager that is better at game management rather than motivation. I often think Garner is gun shy when it comes to pulling the trigger to make hard decisions in important games.

I don't think they should fire him after he got them to the WS but I think there are alot of coaches out there that manage games alot better than Garner.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, no other team in all of MLB had a better back-to-back postseason run than the Astros.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cardinals, maybe?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:30 PM

Would have to say the Astros' postseason results these last two years have been better than the Cards'.

Both teams got swept in the WS, but Houston's WS was much more competitive. Just a few hits in key situations and it's Houston sweeping Chicago instead of the other way around.

And last season, the Stros were only a few outs away from the WS, with a lead in the sixth inning of game 7 and Clemens on the hill, before finally losing.

This year, other than game 1 and one pitch to Pujols in game 5, the Stros dominated the Cardinals in the NLCS.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would have to say the Astros' postseason results these last two years have been better than the Cards'.

Both teams got swept in the WS, but Houston's WS was much more competitive. Just a few hits in key situations and it's Houston sweeping Chicago instead of the other way around.

And last season, the Stros were only a few outs away from the WS, with a lead in the sixth inning of game 7 and Clemens on the hill, before finally losing.

This year, other than game 1 and one pitch to Pujols in game 5, the Stros dominated the Cardinals in the NLCS.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, they still had the same results, just flip flop the years.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:50 PM

Um. No they didn't.