Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Goof Puts Man in Major Poker Tourney

Did you consider that maybe, having won $11,000 "by accident", this man would have entered the WSOP with the money anyway figuring he had a shot? Maybe he'd been looking for an excuse to blow all that money.

Heck, I know I'd feel like I was destined to play if I managed to win a tournament I didn't even mean to enter.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They do know that you can just buy in right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, based upon questions I get asked ALL THE TIME by both reporters and regular people who spot me in airports and such, most people seem to think you have to win your way into the event. Many people are very surprised when I inform them that anybody can show up with $10,000 and buy into the event.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 07-05-2005, 01:47 AM

If he was really upset about winning the seat instead of the cash and/or he really needed the cash, he can always allow his friends and family to buy small pieces of him. He pockets some cash, and still has a freeroll for a large portion of anything he wins.

-Aces
Old 07-05-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, based upon questions I get asked ALL THE TIME by both reporters and regular people who spot me in airports and such, most people seem to think you have to win your way into the event. Many people are very surprised when I inform them that anybody can show up with $10,000 and buy into the event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you have to pay taxes if you won 11k in cash and not so when you won a WSOP seat?
Old 07-05-2005, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you have to pay taxes if you won 11k in cash and not so when you won a WSOP seat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Better hope no one from the IRS sees this post.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 AM

What about the alternates though?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's because a seat and $11k are essentially the exact same thing, except with a seat you don't have a choice. See?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, of course I do. I just don't see what all the snickering is. It just seems like jealousy to me, that's all.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It just amazes me that people can't say WOW, what a great story!! Instead, they sneer at the fact that the guy is more excited about a 11k buy in then getting 11k in his pocket. Who cares?!?! He's playing in the WSOP!! Wish him good luck, maybe he's the next Moneymaker. "

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought for sure this story was going to be about someone locating a sucker (aka "goof") who would back him.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here

---i think dynastys point is good also

cheers
Old 07-05-2005, 01:34 PM

2+2er Geormiet's story of how he qualified for last years WSOP rules over this one.

He entered some sort of freeroll into what he thought was a bigger tourney and then had to leave in the middle of it so he started playing insane, ended up winning, and then finding out the next day he actually won a seat in the WSOP.

Here are excepts from the thread last may in the internet texas hold 'em forum...

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in a tournament at pokeworld right now, down to 11 spots. I'm chip leader with 46k, more than twice what second place has.

top 2 spots give an entry to pokeworld's $10,000 WSOP tournamant.

only problem...i have to play a wedding gig in 20 minutes!!!! What should I do???

ARGH!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
1000 frequent player points. 109 entrants. knowing that i was on a time constraint, i was gambling it up. I didn't mean to get lucky and become chip leader...

Crap crap crap...Why is the break lasting so long?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
How about this hand?
Ok, I'm in the big blind with 97s. 3 limpers. I've got everyone covered by a LOT, and it's time to get crazy, so I push in. Uh oh...2 callers??? Well, I guess the poker gods have a sense of humor, because the flop comes T86, and now I'm sitting on a 50k stack.

2:30: Crap crap crap. I can't leave. I have more than double 2nd place, and there are only 8 players left. But I can't be late to this damn wedding!! Ok, raise, raise, raise, gotta make this tournament end quickly. I'm completely running over the table, there is only one player who has been putting up any resistance.

2:45. Down to 3. I have 80k, 2nd has 50k, and 3rd has 10k. Top 2 spots win seats. I raise medium stack all in EVERY time he has the BB - he simply cannot call because small stack is so close to busting out. Pretty soon, I have 110k, and the other 2 have around 20k each. After what seems like an eternity, small stack busts out. WOOHOOO!!! Other stack and I go all in, I win with a flush.

Before my win has time to sink in, I have to run, I'm late as hell! I sprint out to the car with my cello and drive like mad, making the wedding just in time.

And actually, I'm not sure what I won. Apparantly pokerworld is holding a $10,000 buy in tournament????

I will be honest, I would not feel comfortable playing for these stakes. I would MUCH rather have the cash. Maybe I'll have to find a way to pawn the seat off on ebay or something. Or maybe all the players in the tourney can just chop up the prize.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm really confused right now.... I think I may have won a seat in the WSOP's main event.

...but pokerworld's customer support is not very helpful at 11PM on Sunday.

They say they will e-mail me with details in the morning...

JESUS CHRIST. I can't play in the WSOP main event!!??? I would rather have $5000 in cash!!

[/ QUOTE ]