Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Moving to Aruba/Cancun/Australia tax/residency questions

ive heard the price of coronas is like the price of soda down there. 2 liter bottles for $1.29 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 02:20 PM

Yeah, if you go to the grocery store in any tourist town (like Cancun), things are pretty ridiculously cheap.

If you go to the tourist restaurants though, things are only slightly cheaper than the US.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:32 PM

www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/

If you havent used this already this check it out.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:45 PM

this is a very nice resource ive bookmarked it. it doesnt really give you in depth details about the countries youre looking at though. just a rough overview of tourism. it would be nice if there was a site like this that linked to sites pertaining to permanent residence in those countries along with tax information and other necessities.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:53 PM

I looked into moving to a different country where I wouldn't have to pay ridiculous amts in taxes awhile back, and came up with 3 awesome countries where I could buy a nice house on the beach and not pay any income tax: Bahamas, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands. But then I did more research into getting residency - which is required for the tax exemption - and it was very difficult, and usually requiring like 5yrs. So, definitely do your research, and let me know if you find something, because I would love to live on the beach in the Carribean too and not pay ridiculous sums in taxes.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:56 PM

Open up foreign bank acct or just use neteller. Keep all earnings off shore and don't even bother repatriating. Buy real estate offshore by using a holdings company incorporated in Luxemberg or Cayman islands. US has no jurisdiction over foreign sovereign entities. A lot of latin american countries deal with real estate purchases using cash regardless if it cost 100k or 20k. For a touristy place like Aruba, roll the earnings into apartments that you could rent out to tourists for additional passive income. There are several countries that you could do this in, but I am not familiar with Aruba.

Earnings? What earnings?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:58 PM

also www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html if you ever thinking about getting more adventurous in high risk countries.

I would think you have to first make an investigatory stay in your possible new homeland-that may take some of the adventure out of it thu or either have good friends who's advice you can trust that have been there or lastly an internet forum of experienced travellers for specific locations: thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/

there have got to be a few good internet forums out there where you can share feedback for extended stays abroad.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:59 PM

hi okayplayer, im not really interested in buying property in a foreign country because i probably dont want to live there for a long time. im just interested in renting for now and coming back to america after a few years or going to another country. i probably wont want to settle down in one of these countries unless i meet some whore i want to marry and have children with.

you say it takes 5 years to get citizenship which sounds right. im not really interested in becoming a citizen but i want to be able to live there indefinitely. do you have any information on this? can i live in the country for a few years while applying for citizenship or do i have to apply for citizenship outside of the country?

from my understanding aruba only allows you to stay in the country for 3 months. how do i get around this???

kkf: how are you staying in thailand for so long? dont they have laws about only being allowed to stay there for a few months at a time?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:05 PM

Well, see the thing is, as long as you are a resident of the US, they will want part of your income as taxes. I think the only way around this is to just settle for the 80k exemption for living in a foreign country as KKF is doing, or obtain residency elsewhere. But like KKF mentioned, unless you really want to live there, the 80k exemption is only going to save you like 25k. I do think that you can live in the country while you are applying for citizenship, though I am not certain, and not sure what time constraints are. Sorry.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:14 PM

I've thought about doing the same thing you are doing ie living in a different country for say 6 months then move on to the next one over say a 5- year period-this would be awesome:

other stuff:

US Dept.of State-Travel and Living Abroad

Harpers