Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Once I\'m in the money, I slow way down.....

I have gotten much better at MTTs, thanks largely to this forum, but I've noticed now that when I get into the money, I just slow down a whole bunch. I don't know if it is mental or what, and some of it has to do with what cards I get, but I feel like once we break into those final 60, 20, or whatever it is, I slowly get blinded away without a fight. Should I get more aggresive when Im in the money? I still want to play for first, I dont want to waste 3 hours of my day for 16th place. I dont have PT yet on the computer so I cant give any numbers if they are needed.

thanks in advance
Old 10-04-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Once I\'m in the money, I slow way down.....

hmm, I think I'm the exact opposite.. I usually slow down near the bubble and then once I'm ITM, I speed up and don't mind putting my chips on the line in certain situation cuz I know I made back what I invested + a little extra
Old 10-04-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm, I think I'm the exact opposite.. I usually slow down near the bubble and then once I'm ITM, I speed up and don't mind putting my chips on the line in certain situation cuz I know I made back what I invested + a little extra

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats me, I am more likely to go on edges that might be slightly bad if it means that I end up in a good position, like calling a reraise all in holding 99 when it could make me chip leader, even if it means risking most of my chips. I guess I figure if I lose, I end up in that place, if I fold, I might not find a better spot and only go up another pay grade or 2, and if I win, I probably make it to the good money.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats me, I am more likely to go on edges that might be slightly bad if it means that I end up in a good position, like calling a reraise all in holding 99 when it could make me chip leader, even if it means risking most of my chips. I guess I figure if I lose, I end up in that place, if I fold, I might not find a better spot and only go up another pay grade or 2, and if I win, I probably make it to the good money.

[/ QUOTE ]

what you just said happened to me as I was posting the OP, but with TT. I had t17k in the BB (1k) , there is 1 caller and the Sb goes all in for 8k. BUT, since I have been folding and slowing down ever since we got into the money, i get too excited and reraise it all in. Im called by the utg player and he turns over QQ to take down all our money.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:54 AM

In larger events where say, 70 or more spots pay out, I'll slow down early too, because I can usually sneak up a pay spot or two by letting all the people who snuck into the money bust out. It's usually possible to get to that 2nd or 3rd tier on the pay scale by tightening up a bit once the bubble bursts. Then once all the crazies are gone I'll make my last push to try and make it deep. This works better on some sites than others depending on the payscale. Shortstacks start busting at an alarming rate once the bubble bursts.

It depends on my stack size. If I'm a really small stack, I'm still going to need to make some moves and fast, so I'm ignoring the jump in pay from one spot to the next until I can secure enough chips that I'm comfortable. If I'm averagish I'll stay out of pots for a while only coming in with premium hands hoping to bust out the now desperate players who are so happy to be in the money they are now pushing trash. Either way I'm going to need to make a push to get to the final table or whatnot, but if I can I'll tighten up to secure some extra $$ before shifting gears.

I'm not sure if this is optimal strategy or not, but it seems to work for me!
Old 10-04-2005, 02:26 AM

You should be more aggressive in general ITM unless everyone else at your table does this, in which case you should play opposite to them.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:26 AM

I sometimes find myself doing this too, involuntary. As always be selectiv, but be agressive. If anyone picks up on your weakness they will pound on u every occasion, and when U finally pick up a hand that is good( and sometimes one consider it too good cause one has been waiting for ages) one goes ahead and plays it all wrong, acting to fast, not taking the proper amount of information in.
KEEP THE PEDAL TO THE METAL.
Put on Rammstein, it helps!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:41 AM

Well, you do have to realize that most players will open up their games right after making the money. This is especially true with the short stacks.

If you have a mid stack at this point, it makes it very difficult to play when everybody is pushing all in. If you have a big stack, then you can wait even longer to pick your spots.

I wouldn't go too crazy here, since people will be much more willing to gamble with you.

Let's be realistic: You need cards to make it to the final table. It's almost impossible to steal your way to the FT, and you will have to win some major confrontations to have a chance (and most likely once as an underdog, no matter how good you are). Of course, there is a fine line between accumulating chips and preserving chips. You need to pick your spots, and make the most out of them.

Reading the players at the table is very important (as it is in the rest of the tournament). Who is trying to sneak their way up the pay ladder? Who is gambling it up? What is your table image? There are so many factors which dictate how you should play any given hand. Knowing this information should allow you to pick your fights, and have the best chance of accumulating chips.

Also, be sure to win your coin flips.

Best of luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In larger events where say, 70 or more spots pay out, I'll slow down early too, because I can usually sneak up a pay spot or two by letting all the people who snuck into the money bust out. It's usually possible to get to that 2nd or 3rd tier on the pay scale by tightening up a bit once the bubble bursts. Then once all the crazies are gone I'll make my last push to try and make it deep. This works better on some sites than others depending on the payscale. Shortstacks start busting at an alarming rate once the bubble bursts.

It depends on my stack size. If I'm a really small stack, I'm still going to need to make some moves and fast, so I'm ignoring the jump in pay from one spot to the next until I can secure enough chips that I'm comfortable. If I'm averagish I'll stay out of pots for a while only coming in with premium hands hoping to bust out the now desperate players who are so happy to be in the money they are now pushing trash. Either way I'm going to need to make a push to get to the final table or whatnot, but if I can I'll tighten up to secure some extra $$ before shifting gears.

I'm not sure if this is optimal strategy or not, but it seems to work for me!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play a lot of big MTT, but this has been my strategy as well. I'm also not sure if it's optimal, but it has worked well for me the last couple times.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:42 PM

I always look at what the final table average stack is going to be. Once I get 1/2 or more of that amount I will tighten up my calling standards considerably. The payouts are too steep to give away a final table spot in a marginal situation. Until I get that stack I'm willing to push every positive situation I can find.