Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Making -ev decisions in capped buyin games to cover fish...

[ QUOTE ]
To me it's the opposite. If the game is very good I will not gamble in big pot just to get a bigger stack to cover, if losing that pot will put me on tilt / make me play worse. It will often put me in a bad state of mind and I start making bad plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are rolled it should be irrelevant. You can always reload.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:46 PM

This is what I am talking aobut.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In short, I'm looking to see if anyone else plays bad, -ev poker, making loose calls, bad bluffs, etc... in an effort to reap the benefits of +ev play with a bigger stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, though probably not as much as I could. For me, it's never bad bluffs, but rather very very thin calls preflop, Cheap longshot draws on flop, and expensive slightly -ev draws on flop and turn.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:12 PM

I think it's waaay too easy to justify a lot of really crappy play doing this however, imo to do this and have it be +EV overall pretty much every component has to be there, one or more fish with big stacks who are really & truly bad & you have position on them, no other deep stacked LAG's with position on you & preferably the rest of the table being a rock garden so you can sucessfully isolate the fish a high % of the time. And I really don't like calling tight mini rocks with any 2, it's much more a matter of being willing to play a good but not great draw very, very aggro or calling small to medium all in's with more marginal pairs like 10-10.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:19 PM

good post.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:29 PM

hence the post about the flush over flush situation about how people were making looser calls (thus the laydown, since hero was expecting villain to want a call) when BBuddy was on gorilla tilt with a 10k stack.

but yeah in a live game capped buy in like the 5/5 1000 i used to play back in the days of live poker, if i can put someone on JJ/TT or so i'll definitely push AK even if i think there's a 1% chance they'll fold.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:57 PM

Yes...but not too bad....I'll take up to about a 40/60 shot if the buy in 75BB or less.

Also, I need to feel like the villain is there to stay a while so that I have a shot. I did this several years ago in a Party $50 game because a superfish had $400 in front. I made it to $375 before our all-in confrontation. Also, I made a ridiculous bluff on the superfish and then showed him the cards so that he would get pissed. I flopped a st8 and he flop 2 pair and then there was a 765 pot in an NL50 game.

He rivered a full house though [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. Vomit.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:16 PM

I would not recommend it. I only have a small sample size, but I have tried this maybe 10 times before. All 10 times the fish takes a chunk of my money, but busts out to someone else.

The fish then leaves the table having distributed my money.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:40 PM

I do it... sparingly
Old 10-07-2005, 03:42 PM

I do it live often but rarely online. Live its easier for those same bad players to think how bad you are and react incorrectly and also not want to get up from the table. Not only does it allow you to have a chance at covering the worse players but also allows you to have a great image. Limpreraising all in, raising blind, straddling, pushing most draws, etc are all methods usable.

Search for the post about paul phillips @ the mirage.

-JP