Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 1 vs. 5
(5) Stu Scott 39 46.99%
(1) Tim McCarver 44 53.01%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2005, 07:07 AM

Default Re: 3 AK preflop hands (with a quiz!)

[ QUOTE ]
maybe its just me, but i rarely push AK preflop, unless against a short enough stack. There would have to be a few conditions in place if i was going to do it with deeper stacks:

-Lots of dead money in the pot, but also plenty of fold equity, and not wanting to get overcommitted to a multi-way pot postflop (see hand #2)
-One stupid and particularly aggressive opponent in the pot, especially in a steal situation (AKA, can't fold his AJ after he's made 2 raises with it already, see hand #1)
-Perhaps if i raised first in, several people called, and a known very-aggressive player made a big raise (likely a squeeze play) I might push over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you there are better spots than a 50/50 unless u expect the FE to be quite high!
Old 12-15-2005, 07:15 AM

I picked hand 2. Its either a push or fold here in my oppinion. Would rather fold then have to get something to help my hand. I would just call hand #1. And hand # 3 I would also just raise/call.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:22 AM

I can say that I picked hand 2 simply based on the fact you were deeply covered and the tremendous amount of action that was infront of you. In that situation you might see 1-3 callers, which is not what you want.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:44 AM

It may be just me, but I think your thought process for hand 2 is a little reversed. Since MP1 has such a big stack, I would be more inclined to take risks in order to build it up and do battle with him.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:45 AM

You don't even need FE for a 50/50 to be profitable... there just has to be dead money in the pot.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand #1 -- Villian's a donk. Open-Minraised me preflop from button. I put in a real raise. He raises again. A little more than a minraise but not much. I'm not going to play AK OOP agst him and I'm not folding it either. I figure I am ahead of his hand most of the time and I have alot of FE. I push, he calls with QQ. So he actually had a premium hand. I spike a K, and double up.

[/ QUOTE ]

We all expected this (except I thought AA). When a donk minraises-3bets its usually a stellar holding. Especially when you were in the blinds man; he didn't want you folding. I see this play and note it very often, most times when its shown down it's a premium hand. I think this should be an instant fold. In my mind you got the best scenario
Old 12-15-2005, 12:16 PM

Hand 1: fold. Deep stacked, out of position, facing a reraise. Even being suited, still too much reverse implied odds here.

The other 2 are auto-pushes.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:17 PM

True but its V+. And I think there will come upp better spots. Anyway Im a beginner trying to learn this, might try this play some weeks.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've invested one dollar in the hand so far.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably missing a little EV by folding...but it can't be alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is pretty awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've read 3 of your posts today and you've been a dick in all 3.

pushing hand 1 is bad - i don't mind your play on 2 or 3, tho.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:52 PM

Meh. Regarding Hand #1. You guys have seen this before. A donk minraises preflop, another donk minraises back, and they minraise back and forth 2 more times, and they have QT and A8...I had a good read on the dude in Hand #1. I didn't put specific reads in on each villian in each hand because I didn't want to make the OP too long. Turns out he had a good hand, but he could have very easily had a J9/KT type hand there.