Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Am I an inveterate LAG? (3/6 NL)

Haven't been at the table very long. Read on the guy is that he plays pretty standardly, maybe a bit looser than most people you'll find at a full ring table (that's currently playing shorthanded). My image is loose, with a propensity to raise the flop, but not extraordinarily so.

Yeah, I know the preflop raise is very loose, but sometimes I like to throw in that kind of stuff, especially when it's not a full table. Please, be merciless in critiquing this hand, especially the flop play and the turn jam. Please tell me what a donk I am. I can certainly explain my warped thinking after a few replies.

There's no converter for FTP, so this will be done poorly, by hand...

Full Tilt Poker Game #358843004: Table Copper Mesa - $3/$6 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:32:42 ET - 2005/12/29
Seat 1: CO ($238)
Seat 3: Button ($770.85)
Seat 4: SB ($756.65)
Seat 6: BB ($566.25)
Seat 7: UTG ($414.70)
Seat 8: Hero (UTG+1) ($567.60)
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
UTG folds
Hero raises to $18
CO folds
Button calls $18
(blinds fold)
*** FLOP *** [3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Hero bets $30
Button raises to $78
Hero calls $48
*** TURN *** [3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Hero checks
Button (insta)bets $126
Hero (thinks for a few seconds and) raises to $471.60, and is all in

EDIT: I am mainly a tournament player, and I would make this play really, really often in a tournament. I'm trying to use my tournament winnings to learn NL cash games (haven't donked off too much of my bankroll yet). Something tells me that in a cash game, where people can just reload, this play isn't nearly as profitable (if it's profitable at all, at any time). But then again, I also have found that people have a propensity to fold without a big hand here at FTP's cash games.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Am I an inveterate LAG? (3/6 NL)

This is 6max, you don't need to be apologizing for raising 45s preflop

Turn play is ok I suppose, basically you think he flopped an overpair and you are trying to get him to lay it down. It sure does look like he's trying to buy a free showdown.

And of course if he flopped a set/two pair you got 8 outs, no big deal
Old 12-29-2005, 06:58 PM

Button can have an overpair, a set, an ace, a spade draw. I suppose he'll fold a pair between 6 and A. He'll fold the flush draw without the ace. He'll call with spades+ace, or a good ace, and of course a set. If he has spades you only have 6 outs, so that sucks.

Generally I don't see a need for this unless you think Button is weak/tight, but your only read is he's a little loose which usually means he'll call a little more than usual.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:06 PM

That miniraise on the flop is scary. I think he either has the flush draw or set/2 pair. The turn gave the Ace high flush draw top pair. I would probably fold this on the turn given this action.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to use my tournament winnings to learn NL cash games (haven't donked off too much of my bankroll yet).

[/ QUOTE ]

Play 200 or 400NL, it will make your learning curve less expensive.

Not criticizing your play, but there's no real justification unless the amounts bore you.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:22 PM

this looks pretty good

the only way i see the ace helping him is if he has the flopped nut spade draw -- even then he can't really call correctly

if he has a set then you better suckout
Old 12-30-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Play 200 or 400NL, it will make your learning curve less expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I normally do play 400NL, but I had a note on one of the guys sitting in this 3/6 game saying he was a donk, so I figured I would take a shot.

Anyway, assuming I have 8 outs on average if called, I think he has to fold something like 45% of the time to make the play profitable. If he folds a pair lower than aces 100% of the time, then the only question that remains is whether he has those 45% of the time. Given that my read wasn't that strong, it probably isn't that high, and the raise was wishful LAG thinking.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated, thanks for the input.