Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-29-2005, 06:25 AM

Default 5/10 AA on a draw heavy flop

I appologize in advance if this hand is standard, I am very new to NL ring, and would love your opinions on this hand:

It is fron 5/10 9 handed on bodog. I have roughly 2K in front of me and villain has roughly 1500 in front of him. My only read is that villain is very TAG, and will bluff if need be, but isn't calling without a very good holding.

Preflop: Villain raises to 35, I reraise to 100 with AA, villain calls.

Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Villain checks, I bet 150, villain raises to 400, hero...? At this point Villain has roughly 1000 behind.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Re: 5/10 AA on a draw heavy flop

These arent great hands to post because nobody can tell you what the correct play is and even that isnt going to help your game much.

The guy c-raises you on a draw heavy board so he could easily be trying to protect a big hand or bluffing a big draw, unless you have been reraising a ton it is fairly clear you couldnt have hit this board. Do you have any idea if you can rule out connectors with the call of the PF raise? Also you should be making this 120 PF.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:40 AM

WGSteve -

I think this is a clear fold, unless they guy has been really getting out of line. I've noticed this situation is probably the toughest / biggest leak in my game. On a two tone, draw heavy flop it's easy to convince yourself that the other guy is raising on a draw, but 75-85% of the time when I make this call I see at least two-pair, if not a set.

It's probably too conservative, but I don't like putting the whole stack in with an overpair - against two pair you're not killed, but against a set you are, OESFD it's a coin flip.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These arent great hands to post because nobody can tell you what the correct play is and even that isnt going to help your game much.

The guy c-raises you on a draw heavy board so he could easily be trying to protect a big hand or bluffing a big draw, unless you have been reraising a ton it is fairly clear you couldnt have hit this board. Do you have any idea if you can rule out connectors with the call of the PF raise? Also you should be making this 120 PF.

[/ QUOTE ]
good post dude.

i would likely fold here against an unknown in that game, but if he really tight raiser, then of course get it allin.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:46 AM

What's your and villains position? Is he raising UTG with 55,66,77 or maybe SC here? If not, then you gotta get your dough in.

Also, reraise more preflop and pot it on flop.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:32 PM

You should raise all-in so villian can call and double up when his 88 hits his straight draw on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Seriously, I was villian in the hand. I actually went back later last night and checked the hand history because I was going to post it from my POV.

I was EMP and you were LMP. Preflop I raised to $35 and you reraised to $75, not $100. I also checkraised the flop to $445, not $400.

From the little I have played with you in the past week or so, you seem like a solid player, which is why the "slightly higher than minraise" preflop reraise seemed strange.

I honestly thought I would get you to lay down AA-QQ with my checkraise but once you went all-in I had odds to call.

See you around the tables!
Old 11-29-2005, 06:23 PM

Yeah, I now realize the small reraise was poor. I had noticed you had been playing particularily tight in that game, and, I had reraised your raise a few times in that session. So, I guess I was hoping for a big reraise, I don't know. Sometimes I do dumb things when I'm sitting at the table, haha.

I had wanted to lay the AA down, but, I just felt that you would raise more on the flop with a set, and it screamed draw to me, though, that is probably flawed thinking.