Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 06:10 AM

Default 30/60 Dealing with super-aggros

Villain is 45/40 over 70 hands and very aggressive postflop. It is VERY likely that he is capable of bluffcheck-raising me with air on the turn, but I dont know it for sure and dont know how often he would do this.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

I think not betting the turn is bad, but I cant fold to a CR so I took the easy way out. I just didnt have enough info on him.
It´s really unlikely he is just giving up on the turn here.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Re: 30/60 Dealing with super-aggros

Seems like the perfect way to handle someone that aggressive. But I am a bit weak so...
Old 12-15-2005, 07:28 AM

I'd play it the same versus a guy this aggro.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:42 AM

I think I like your line with A2-AT.

However, I think AK is a little too strong to check the turn. I think he checkraises this turn with an Ace pretty frequently, so your bad aces might be behind, but your good aces can stand the extra action.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:04 AM

poldi, are you sk.storm? I know ive seen that pic somewhere before. Storm is what jumped to my head but i cant remember exactly what it was.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:41 AM

This guy is always checkraising on that turn given the action so far, whether he has a hand or not. So whether or not to bet the turn and call down is really just a matter of how much equity AK has against his range. I don't know what he caps preflop with in a blind battle, but I suspect AK is ahead often enough to make betting/calling down correct.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy is always checkraising on that turn given the action so far, whether he has a hand or not. So whether or not to bet the turn and call down is really just a matter of how much equity AK has against his range. I don't know what he caps preflop with in a blind battle, but I suspect AK is ahead often enough to make betting/calling down correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking is similar to yours and Spydog. Against most LAGs, this is a very good check the turn/call the river situation, but against a super-LAG you might well have sufficient equity to bet the turn here.

However, given that he'd probably cap preflop with any pocket and any ace, you have to think you're ahead 50% of the time to make this bet -- I don't think it's THAT good, so . . . a turn check is probably better. And lower variance, obviously.

Close, though.

Here's an annoying question -- against this individual, is a bet/3-bet line best? Betting the turn and calling down his inevitable raise puts in 3 bets. Betting/3-betting also puts in 3 bets, and has a chance of folding a small pocket.

??
Old 12-15-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's an annoying question -- against this individual, is a bet/3-bet line best? Betting the turn and calling down his inevitable raise puts in 3 bets. Betting/3-betting also puts in 3 bets, and has a chance of folding a small pocket.

??

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think trying to push players like this off any hand is the way to go. I´d be scared that he caps with a worse hand or donks the river and I dont know what to do. I think you must get to Showdown here and dont give him any opportunity to push you off your hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
poldi, are you sk.storm? I know ive seen that pic somewhere before. Storm is what jumped to my head but i cant remember exactly what it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am SK.sTOrM. Do you play WC3?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

??

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think trying to push players like this off any hand is the way to go. I´d be scared that he caps with a worse hand or donks the river and I dont know what to do. I think you must get to Showdown here and dont give him any opportunity to push you off your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. I doubt he's capping the turn as a bluff. If he donks the river, yeah it's annoying, but my guess is that if you ran the numbers you'd find that if there's even a 15% chance you run him off of a small pocket or get him to fold a weak ace (which still has a 3-outer, or a chance to chop with you) on the turn, the bet/3-bet line is best.

Scarier, certainly -- but I think it HAS to be better than just calling the checkraise.

If you're that insistent about seeing a showdown, then just use the line you did.