Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: A subject covered extensively - Tilting

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about raising 10x BB pre-flop with KK and having a donk call OOP with 97o, catch a 9 on the flop, you put him all in on the turn and he hits a 9 on the river kind of stuff. When people make really donk moves and take your whole stack a few times in a night, I just don't seem to take it as well as I think I should.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those don't bother me as much; they played badly but just got lucky. There is nothing that you can do about that.

What pisses me off is when I lose a hand because of a clear and stupid mistake (usually semi-bluffing into an obvious calling station) that wasn't obvious during the hand, but should have been.

I start doubting my reads and plays and generally revert back into a weak-tight shell.

The solution is to leave the table (or even the game for that day) and do something mindless for a while. Biking and shoot'em-up games are high on that list. Working out (or any physical effort, really) is probably the best. Its hard not to be calm and confident when you're walking out of the gym all pumped up.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:07 AM

I try to forgive and forget. If I have just lost 3 buyins I recognize what went wrong, then I take a look at my bankroll and try to accept this as my new starting point that I will be _making_ money from, not recovering. If this doesn't work I'll stop playing for the day.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:12 AM

I found another way to tilt: when one particular player just has your number. When one guy keeps smashing my head in, I get pissed off. Now granted tonight this happened when we were playing heads up, and this guy went from 100$ - 600$ because of me, but still. I was definitely steaming and this sometimes happens if one particular guy just keeps killing me in 6-max.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy into a $5 SNG...

[/ QUOTE ]

I go with this one, hands down. It's a great tilt cure.

A couple of cheap SNGs let you keep playing
It's tons of fun
Losing is much cheaper than getting stacked at a cash game
Costs so little that you can just join another one right away

And best of all...
With a little luck you get to bust a few people out, which when you're tilty is EXTREMELY satisfying. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 09:25 AM

its very satisfying to bust people even when i'm not tilting
Old 10-21-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Buy into a $5 SNG...

[/ QUOTE ]

I go with this one, hands down. It's a great tilt cure.

A couple of cheap SNGs let you keep playing
It's tons of fun
Losing is much cheaper than getting stacked at a cash game
Costs so little that you can just join another one right away

And best of all...
With a little luck you get to bust a few people out, which when you're tilty is EXTREMELY satisfying. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell if you do the mini steps one, just gotta get to 5th and U get another tilt cure for FREE
Old 10-21-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I found another way to tilt: when one particular player just has your number. When one guy keeps smashing my head in, I get pissed off. Now granted tonight this happened when we were playing heads up, and this guy went from 100$ - 600$ because of me, but still. I was definitely steaming and this sometimes happens if one particular guy just keeps killing me in 6-max.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found that this is my usual tilt problem. One donk in particular at my table will suck out on me and after that I'll focus on him. I'll loosen up and just waste more money trying to recover my lost stack from JUST him, which will naturally worsen my play and tick me off even more.

Usually I find that if I simply pack up my measly stack of chips and buy into another table, the absence of the donk I was mad at completely revamps and improves my play.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:55 AM

Always remind yourself that why your there. Without terrble play there would be no long term winners. Alro revisit these bad beat hands and see if you did anything wrong. Many times you'll see that you may have played a part....