Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: A subject covered extensively - Tilting

[ QUOTE ]
what really bugs me is when they hit a very well hidden draw and I pay it off for a lot.

then I feel part of it is my fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that I don't mind so much. Those are tough. I'm talking about raising 10x BB pre-flop with KK and having a donk call OOP with 97o, catch a 9 on the flop, you put him all in on the turn and he hits a 9 on the river kind of stuff. When people make really donk moves and take your whole stack a few times in a night, I just don't seem to take it as well as I think I should.

I'm trying to get to a place that I can work through those kind of beats. Perhaps I'm asking too much of myself, but I'd like to think it's possible to let it roll off my back. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 01:01 AM

I don't feel bad about those.

I feel bad about the improbable gutshots that I pay off.

the bad beats don't worry me too much anymore.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:08 AM

curiously, I made some really bad calls today so I feel like crap.

trying to get back in the rythm of playing tight by playing some Omaha8.

I wish you guys got the game going earlier cuz I wouldn't have lost nearly as much had I left to go play that
Old 10-21-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't feel bad about those.

I feel bad about the improbable gutshots that I pay off.

the bad beats don't worry me too much anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the difference in your mind between a 97o hand and 'paying off' a gutshot?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:23 AM

All good and interesting feedback. Incidently the first rotation I played today (earlier today) I took a real BAD beat, lost my stack and decided to stop playing until perhaps tomorrow. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 01:32 AM

because the majority of money went in when I was behind in my situation, I feel worse.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because the majority of money went in when I was behind in my situation, I feel worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. Thought you meant the money went in and someone caught a gut shot. Funny, because I don't feel bad about those. Perhaps we can swap some mental juices and balance each other out??
Old 10-21-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All good and interesting feedback. Incidently the first rotation I played today (earlier today) I took a real BAD beat, lost my stack and decided to stop playing until perhaps tomorrow. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best choice. I don't tilt from bad beats. My tilt comes when I play 5 hours of breakeven/losing poker even though I'm playing mostly correctly. Just missing draws, missing big cards, stuff like that. I usually take a day off after a session like that. If I'm running bad when I come back I'll take 2 or 3 days off.

I can handle suckouts. When I'm bleeding money away slowly for 6 hours or 2 days of full sessions I start to doubt myself and change my game for the worse (way less aggression, not trusting my reads). Even though I know I'm a winning player I have trouble not doing it. When I walk away and come back a few days later I can put the bad session out of my head and go back to playing my normal game.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. Thought you meant the money went in and someone caught a gut shot. Funny, because I don't feel bad about those. Perhaps we can swap some mental juices and balance each other out??

[/ QUOTE ]

"May God give me the power to control the things I can and accept the things I can't." - Proverb

I am with amoeba. Me making a bad play makes me much more upset than getting sucked out on. Why would I get upset abotu something I can't control? I guess this is my attitude towards everything in life (so much that people comment on it) so I guess it just carries over into my poker game.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"May God give me the power to control the things I can and accept the things I can't." - Proverb

I am with amoeba. Me making a bad play makes me much more upset than getting sucked out on. Why would I get upset abotu something I can't control? I guess this is my attitude towards everything in life (so much that people comment on it) so I guess it just carries over into my poker game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's what makes us all unique psychologically. I don't get upset at myself if I make a bad play. I just learn from it. I get upset when people make obnoxious donk plays and hit one or two outers when all the money is in. You have to eventually accept all events that occur in your life, but I don't think that means you can't get mad about donks who call pre-flop rasies of 10+BB OOP with 97o against your big pocket pair and hit running 9's. I of course always get over it, but I'd be lying if I said wasn't grinding my teeth perplexed at what they thought they were doing. When my stack gets wiped out on plays like that it gets me steaming.

P.S. Control is an illusion.