Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 03:41 PM

Default K9s flops book-end straight in raised family pot

Morongo $2/$5, $300 cap, 8- or 9-handed

I have the table covered with about $750.

Two limps ($150 and $125), I limp in MP with K9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], another limp ($500), then somone raises to $25 ($300), one LP cold-caller ($550), BB calls (??), two limpers call, I call, and limper after me calls.

Flop ~$175: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, EP1 bets $50, EP2 calls, I ???

I'm assuming everyone here raises this. Given the stack sizes and action, what would you raise to? EP1 had $75 left and EP2 has $50.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: K9s flops book-end straight in raised family pot

I think I would ask for a count from BB. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would ask for a count from BB. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't even remember his face, but i know there was a body in that spot.

he probably had $300 and didn't stick out as either someone who had won a pot or as a short-stack donk.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:57 PM

I'd put them both in. With the pot as it is, they are getting odds to call any sized bet or re-raise. Make them pay to see that turn and river.

Ed S.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd put them both in. With the pot as it is, they are getting odds to call any sized bet or re-raise. Make them pay to see that turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

how about the 4 people yet to act behind me? just raising to cover the better and caller could give a decent price to any of the deeper stacks that may be interested in the hand.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:02 PM

The tough part is that the pfr is still to act behind you, can you count on a raise from this player? If not, you might as well set her all-in. The pot is now $275, and you probably want to raise that much. A higher pair has outs to half or all of the pot, so a cheap card for any player behind you is mucho dangerous for you. You will lose to AK no matter what, so just protect against whatever you can. I think a raise to $200-$300 is appropriate here.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:09 PM

I'm sorry , totally forgot about the rest of the table.

I'd make it 200 all day and see what happens from there.

Ed S.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The tough part is that the pfr is still to act behind you, can you count on a raise from this player? If not, you might as well set her all-in. The pot is now $275, and you probably want to raise that much. A higher pair has outs to half or all of the pot, so a cheap card for any player behind you is mucho dangerous for you. You will lose to AK no matter what, so just protect against whatever you can. I think a raise to $200-$300 is appropriate here.

[/ QUOTE ]

say I raise to $300, what if the PFR pushes behind me? what if someone else does?

what's my plan for a blank turn if the PFR calls my flop raise? how about for paint or [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] turn?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:14 PM

If you want to commit to this hand at all, I think you have to push (any decent raise will leave you with an ackward amount compared to other stacks and pot size, especially if a straight card, a diamond or a board pairing card falls (that's a lot of cards). Don't give any decent odds to a megadraw, a set or AA-KK. You can't be afraid of AK, because if you are there's only one answer: fold preflop [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] i.e. don't invest with a hand that, if flopped hard, you'll fold anyway. I'm not questioning the PF call, but if you make it and flop that nice, you're jamming it.

edit: if you are pretty sure someone will raise if you call that bet, you can call and reraise all-in. Or push a turn brick if the flop is not raised.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:26 PM

i pushed, the guy next to me folded (he said later that he had QT), PFR folds, Button calls $550 and is all-in (!!), BB folds, and both short-stacks call.

Turn bricks, river is another Q. Button shows 98 for the low end, and the two short-stacks both had flush draws. Button was confused when the pot started to get pushed my way...he thought there was no way any hand that beats him pushes the flop.

I still don't know if the push was good though...honestly, i was just trying to push everyone else out and get in with the two short-stacks. I never expected to get called by anyone else. Does anyone like button's call?