Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 09:23 PM

Default 1-2 NL Button hand

16k on the table.

SB is a young action player; tricky; $1400.
Hijack is a solid internet player with some live game leaks; $2800.
I'm on the button and have them both covered.

A couple of limpers. Hijack makes it $30; fold; I call with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]; SB calls; all others fold. I put the Highjack on AA, KK, QQ or a big suited ace. Pot=$100.

Flop is 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB checks; Hijack bets $125; I call; SB calls. Pot=$475.

Turn is T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]; SB checks; Hijack bets $300; I call; SB calls. Pot=$1375.

River is K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]; SB instantly goes all in, +/- $900; Hijack thinks for about 20 seconds and goes all in for +/- $2300. I go in the tank. What do they have?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: 1-2 NL Button hand

Might be wishful thinking but I think your hand is good, SB moves in trying to represent flush and Hijack calls with KK.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
16k on the table.

SB is a young action player; tricky; $1400.
Hijack is a solid internet player with some live game leaks; $2800.
I'm on the button and have them both covered.

A couple of limpers. Hijack makes it $30; fold; I call with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]; SB calls; all others fold. I put the Highjack on AA, KK, QQ or a big suited ace. Pot=$100.

Flop is 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB checks; Hijack bets $125; I call; SB calls. Pot=$475.

Turn is T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]; SB checks; Hijack bets $300; I call; SB calls. Pot=$1375.

River is K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]; SB instantly goes all in, +/- $900; Hijack thinks for about 20 seconds and goes all in for +/- $2300. I go in the tank. What do they have?

[/ QUOTE ]

why don't you ever raise? if you'd raise the flop, you'd push out a larger flush draw, and then this would be a much easier hand to play...
Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 PM

You mean 10-20NL, right? I assume people aren't playing with 600+bbs?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:22 PM

cant raise to 30 in a 10/20 game... anyway, the games in nyc clubs in the days of yore used to play like this... it was awesome, it played like a 5/10 and stacks were as deep but it was real cheap to sit and wait for a good hand. oh i miss those days.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:01 AM

No way, where can I find games like this? I'll be the guy with a book and a PSP. Gotta have something to do between hands.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:49 AM

Over my head, but I'll give it a whirl. Hijack might be thinking that tricky SB is representing the flush and that Hero might or might not have it. Hijack pushes with set of kings to possibly get Hero to fold a smaller flush. Wouldn't Hijack just call with the nuts to possibly get an overcall from Hero's baby flush? Or knowing you might think all this, would Hijack do that with the nuts? Seems like your history together would be helpful.

You are getting almost exactly 2:1 on a call but then again, you have the 4 high flush after two all ins. I might call. Did you lose the main pot to SB and win the side pot against Hijack?

Interesting hand.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:19 AM

This game sounds like heaven. Sign me up
Old 06-24-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Results

First, let me say that I misplayed this hand on all streets. I would normally have played this hand differently, especially on the flop, but was trying to mix up my play. The big problem with my passivity with this hand was that I didn't have and solid reads on the other players.

My first thought was that there were too many people in the hand on the river, and that there might be a dry ace betting the flush board. The only person who could have a dry ace is SB; it would make no sense for cutoff to raise to a side pot with one.

I didn't think SB had a flush. SB was an action player, and action players usually bet their big draws (unless they are something like runner-runner gutshots), so I had been interpreting SB's flop and turn check/calls as a made hand.

The Kd on the river meant that Hijack must have AdQd or AdJd to have a flush. I didn't think he had either of these, mainly because of his turn bet into two players, and his river raise to a dead pot. I assumed that his river raise was to get me out, that if he had the nut flush he would smooth-call to bring me in, and that if I couldn't beat SB, I could beat Hijack for the side pot so I called.

SB turned over AdAh. Cutoff yelled, "I knew that's where you where," and turned over the KcKs for top set, and I dragged the pot with my flush. I asked Hijack later why he raised the river, and he told me that he thought I was slowplaying a set, and that I wouldn't be able to get away from it. An questionable story, but possible. If true, my reasoning about his river bet was completely wrong.

At the time, I thought that all three players had butchered the river, but upon reflection, I think SB firing with the dry ace might not have been so bad.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Might be wishful thinking but I think your hand is good, SB moves in trying to represent flush and Hijack calls with KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaching! Remind me that never, under any circumstances, do I want to play with you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]