Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Two $5/$10 Hands

I just played these two hands at the same table against the same two opponents. Seat 5 is Nappori, who plays quite a bit better than he used to (at least I heard that he was one of the biggest fish around). Seat 2 was unknown to me (turned out he was LAG).
I think the raise on 6th in the first hand made sense, since there was a chance I had the best hand and I would have called the river unimproved anyway. Good raise?
In the second hand I thought seat 2 was probably going to fold anyway. Should I still raise? He might stick and make a boat, after all.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls

4th Street - (4.60 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (4.30 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (7.30 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

River - (11.30 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (11.30 BB)

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___folds

4th Street - (7.60 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (5.30 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (8.30 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (11.30 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (14.30 BB)
Old 06-16-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Two $5/$10 Hands

Hand 1. Good raise. Your equity goes up with knocking seat 2 out and if you don't improve you should be able to check behind on the river.

Hand 2. What makes you think seat 2 will fold this sixth street to one bet when it took two to knock him out of the 1st hand? This time he at least has a pair. I'd have raised, we know seat 5 will bet an open pair (I doubt he had two pair in the 1st hand since he folded the river), and you stand a much better chance of knocking seat 2 out and preventing him from making trips/twopair that beet you.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:42 PM

I think you played hand one fine. On sixth street, based on the times that you still may have the best hand, and that you want seat 2 out of the pot, a raise is probably the best play. If seat 5 checks to you on the river, and you do not improve are you still betting?

On your second hand I am wondering if you put seat 5 on two pair, and seat 2 on two pair, and you know seat 2 will always overcall you if you call seat 5s bet, is this a better situation with your one pair, then if you raise seat 5s probable 2 pair to get seat 2 to fold his probable 2 pair. I would think it is better to keep seat 2 in, but I am not sure. You did put at least one of the players on two pair this hand right? Thats why no raise this time.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:22 PM

I guess there would be some percentage of the time that seat 5 only has one pair though in hand 2. If this percentage is high enough and you feel seat 2 would fold one pair, or two pair to your 6th street raise, then a raise would be in order. If you can get seat 2 to fold your hand winning percentage would increase by around 9%.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:50 PM

Over all nothing special.

Hand 1. The raise on 6th is just a high variance play, Queen's up will probably win a showdown but you don't have them yet, you could be dead to bigger hand though. Overall I don't think this raise helps your results.

Hand 2, Same basic comment except that I am much happier to raise with dry aces, than with dry queens. Again I don't think knock out plays make sense unless you are knocking out people who have you beat or could draw to beat you. With a draw at aces up might as well leave people in the pot unless they drawing at better than aces up (flush/str8).
Old 06-16-2005, 05:21 PM

Hand 1 - Good play raising 6th, do you fold to a 3 bet or a river check raise? You would check behind 7th unimproved right?

Hand2 - Completely standard I think.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you fold to a 3 bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I would have to.

[ QUOTE ]
or a river check raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
You would check behind 7th unimproved right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can get seat 2 to fold your hand winning percentage would increase by around 9%.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you get that percentage?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:42 PM

I do not know if it is exactly accurate, but I went onto twodimes.net and put in your hand, followed by your opponents boards, and hypothetical cards they held for XX. I found around 9% to be your increased percentage of winning once seat 2 was out of the hand. This was in the scenario that both your opponents had two pair.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or a river check raise?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I have been thinking about lately - but there is only a few players who check raise on the river where I still might win in this situation....party players at 5/10 and 10/20 for the most part just are not that tricky/agressive.