Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: How many hands at Limit Poker do you need in a Poker Tracker...

hey,

I actually imported the hands that I played over a week or 2 prior time period to "My First PT Database" lol

I won like $400. playing $2/4 over that time, but in the DB it had my results as winning only $100. or so...I don't understand this...

And to comment on the 13K hands thing, there were a lot of times during that time I can
remember in which I was 80% 85% or even 95% to win BIG pots with 1 card to come Heads Up...($60 to even $75 pots - which are big pots at $2/4 Limit...) and the idiot
caught his "lucky" card to win...NOW, if just 2 or 3 of these pots where
my opponent got really lucky went my way in those 13K hands, that would double or triple my BB/100 during that time!!!
So, just based on this common sense observation, isn't 13K hands pretty much meaningless???

I know there is no "absolute" way to know your exact WR, but how many hands do you need to be
90% or so confident to know a decent/usefull "range" on how much you make per hour or 100 hands...???
(I'm not a "Math guy", so pls. don't say go to the Homer equations/calculations b/c
I didn't understand really much of it, although I'm sure it's brilliant lol).

?
Lost PokerTracker User needs help! And where the heck else do I find what all the other stuff in PokerTracker means/how to actually use/apply
all the info. in my DataBases to use to help me vanquish my foes?

Thanks in advance for any replies brother 2 +ers.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:49 PM

You don't need to be a math guy; just plug Homer's formula into Excel and let it do the math for you. But here's the easy version for you:

If you made $400 (or 100 BB) over 13k hands, that's .77 BB/100. Assuming a standard deviation of about 19 (typical), I can say with 95% confidence that your true win rate is somewhere between -2.5 and 4 BB/100. If you only want 1 sigma (66% confidence), then it's -.8 and 2.36.

In other words, yeah, 13k hands is pretty useless.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:09 PM

"NOW, if just 2 or 3 of these pots where
my opponent got really lucky went my way in those 13K hands, that would double or triple my BB/100 during that time!!!
So, just based on this common sense observation, isn't 13K hands pretty much meaningless???"

yep

conversely check out the 3-4 biggest pots that you won and realize if you'd been sucked out on for those 4 pots, what your winrate would be.